Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Can Beat NVIDIA With Cairo In Select Cases

Phoronix: Nouveau Can Beat NVIDIA With Cairo In Select Cases

Chris Wilson has shared his testing experience of Cairo with NVIDIA ION hardware on the open-source Nouveau driver and the closed-source NVIDIA blob. In certain situations, the Cairo performance does better with Nouveau than the official NVIDIA Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does one interpret those bars some of which grow downwards some upwards?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I'm pretty sure that the top is 11 x Faster while the bottom is 11 x Slower (or in the red). Weird graph.

Comment

Relative to not GPU accelerated path I think.

Comment

Oh, I noticed at the bottom right "relative to image" whatever that means. And yes, this approach sucks balls, just put another bar "Image".

Comment

Unsurprising. Nouveau has always been a few orders of magniture faster than the nvidia driver on 2D acceleration. The nvidia driver has only ever had an advantage in 3D acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              Unsurprising. Nouveau has always been a few orders of magniture faster than the nvidia driver on 2D acceleration. The nvidia driver has only ever had an advantage in 3D acceleration.
              "A few orders of magnitude" means "at least a hundred times", do you really mean that?

Comment

"A few orders of magnitude" means "at least a hundred times", do you really mean that?
                Yes. I remember trying the XRender mode of kwin on the proprietary driver. It was slower than the generic SVGA driver. Which means it was slower than not accelerated at all. Incredible. Of course with the nouveau driver it was the other way around, with OpenGL mode being too slow.

Comment

they know
                  Hi, as stated here: [url]http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2418346[/url] The cairo-1.10.0-buggy_gradients.patch shouldnt be needed anymore, but i tried unpatched cairo 1.12.8 with nvidia drivers 310.14(beta), 304.60 and 304.51. With those drivers gtk applications are very slow, even firefox is slow when scrolling pages using native widgets. Applying the cairo patch OR using nouveau make things smooth again. Users complaining: [url][workaround] 100% CPU load in GTK2 applic...

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                    I love that one of the solutions was to, basically, make cairo less powerful (specifically, not allow it draw all of the gradient types that it currently supports).

Comment

Working...
                    X