GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    I skimmed over the gmenu docs and I don't have a problem with it, per se, but I don't like that it is going to be tossed into the top bar.
    I HATE ACCESSING APP MENUS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN!!!!
    Firefox on Windows has a much nicer solution.
    The window have a Firefox menu in the top-left corner and the menubar are hidden, but if you press the alt-key then the menubar appears.

Comment

Gnome devs are sometimes more interested in being zealots about philosophical concepts like "separating menus related to the application from menus related to the current window or document" that they don't eve see the effects their decissions have for discoverability, usability and productivity from an user point of view.

Here we have concepts that improve traditional menus and that do make real sense, like MegaMenus.

Last edited by newwen; 23 January 2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
        Given the crap quality of the gnome user experience, ANY improvement is welcome by THIS end user. I can't even use gnome anymore. It slows down my computer and me. I don't have the time or the inclination to fight with it. I just install xubuntu and I can get my work done.
        You don't use GNOME, yet you berate it? Get a life! :P

In any case, the email was not about features. If you're troubled that someone points that out while you're not even using that DE, refer to what I said before

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
          Gnome devs are sometimes more interested in being zealots about philosophical concepts
          You do know that there are 1000+ people working on GNOME right? I mean actual contributing something. Not just ranting on Phoronix :P

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Firefox on Windows has a much nicer solution.
            The window have a Firefox menu in the top-left corner and the menubar are hidden, but if you press the alt-key then the menubar appears.
            I actually don't have a problem with Firefox since I've combined the menubar into a single button. Much cleaner that way.
            My issue with this appmenu idea is that it doesn't solve any real problems. Gnome has already been really consistent about the locations of actions into the menu. All this does is forces the user to think a bit more about which menu they're supposed to use, with the big problem being the menus could be separated widely in space.
            I know they're been issues with multi monitor support in GS and this appmenu design only exacerbates it.
            I'm telling you, if rhel desktop users report problems with these things they will be changed even if not by the gnome devs.

Comment

Wonder why Gnome is getting slower and slower these days compared to the other DE's?

Comment

Working...
              X