No announcement yet.

Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used MySQL but never Postgresql, but I am interested in Postgresql.

I saw this video on YouTube that shows how crap MySQL is.

This video highlights many of the strange issues underlying MySQL - and how those problems are handled by Postgres. Our goal is to answer the question: "Why ...

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
      I wonder if Oracle will buy monty program and MariaDB again in the future
      They (Sun) bought a name, and the dual-licensing stuff.
      You can't buy an open source program; but you can buy developers or names, which is worth a lot.
      Many people know what MySQL is, few know MariaDB even exists. That's why I still think it was smart to buy it.

Now, what Orale is doing with MySQL isn't that great. But if they fail, it will be their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        If MySQL is so shitty than why is everybody using it?

If MySQL is so shitty why did Sun bought it?

Anyway it's gonna be interesting seeing which one will be faster: the open source mariaDB or the Oracle MySQL? My money is on Oracle. It's not like their the best database developer in the world or anything.
        PostgreSQL has been around since forever but it's only recently that it's started to become popular. I switched to it a little before the hype started because I needed GIS features and MySQL sucks really badly at that. The view for a long time was that PostgreSQL was slower but it turned out that MySQL's own benchmarks were biased in their favour. For example, they were based on the feature-lacking "don't trust your data with it" MyISAM engine instead of the InnoDB engine that everyone recommends for production use. I also gather that MySQL's replication features really were superior but I believe PostgreSQL has largely caught up on that front now.

Comment

I've never tried PostgreSQL, I'm a MySQL fanboy .

Recently, I've changed from MySQL to MariaDB in a development server at work, and there were some speed improvements and stability in the InnoDB engine. I don't know if it would be better to change the default DBMS from MySQL to PostgreSQL, but getting rid of MySQL I think is a wise movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
            I've never tried PostgreSQL, I'm a MySQL fanboy .
            I didn't know there was such a thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              (...) they were based on the feature-lacking "don't trust your data with it" MyISAM engine instead of the InnoDB engine that everyone recommends for production use.
              What database backend is recommended for production use depends on what use you will make of it; in some cases MyISAM is better, in others InnoDB (or XtraDB or Aria) and there are also some rather specialized DB backends for MySQL.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                What database backend is recommended for production use depends on what use you will make of it; in some cases MyISAM is better, in others InnoDB (or XtraDB or Aria) and there are also some rather specialized DB backends for MySQL.
                Considering how the MYISAM engine does not support the creation of foreign keys I find it rather hard to believe how anyone can even recommend its use for anything today.

Unless you are telling me that your entire database consists of only one large flattened relation.

Also doesn't explain why MYSQL defaults to MyISAM and non-case sensitivity in Windows but InnoDB and case-sensitivity in Unix.

Comment

I don't write extreme SQL queries but I do SysAdmin and coding on MySQL and MariaDB from more than 10 years
                  on tens of servers, most under heavy load.
                  Had hundreds of power outages and hard drives failures, repairing and auto-repairing MyISAM tables,
                  (InnoDB and XtraDB do not need repair)
                  never lost a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    If MySQL is so shitty than why is everybody using it?

If MySQL is so shitty why did Sun bought it?

Anyway it's gonna be interesting seeing which one will be faster: the open source mariaDB or the Oracle MySQL? My money is on Oracle. It's not like their the best database developer in the world or anything.
                    If Windows is so shitty then why is everybody using it?

If Windows is so shitty why Nokia started using it exclusively?

Unfortunately we don't live in a world where best technical solutions dominate the market... Good marketing is few orders of magnitude more important.

Comment

Working...
                    X