AMD's Catalyst Legacy Linux Driver Updated To 13.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK the main focus of this release was getting Steam fixes out to owners of older hardware.
    New Kernel and X-Server Support is much more Important or make the r600g Driver fast. I doubt that one of you driver guys need so long for this task. All ppl with this Type of Cards can't upgrade there distribution without lose fgrlx support.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Yeah I am hearing Team Fortress 2 is finally running for HD2000-4000 with this driver.
      I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference compared to the last driver is that
      they added the required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode".
      But this means that this is rather a feature update than a mere bugfix release (which is good actually).

So why AMD refuses to add support for new xservers?
      That would add so much value to those HD4000 cards.
      Maybe that's exactly the problem...

Comment

Read the article and was jumping for joy till I read the comments...

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
          Read the article and was jumping for joy till I read the comments...
          I wonder if Michael ever updated/corrected an article???

I guess we'll rather see a new article about it.

Comment

Hmm. Well, I never expected that kind of Spanish Inquisition... err, I mean, update for legacy fglrx. But yea, it doesn't seem to be that important, and in my case it's too late, as I just yesterday bought a new graphics card for my main pc, and the current one is doing well enough for HTPC use cases with r600g regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              New Kernel and X-Server Support is much more Important or make the r600g Driver fast. I doubt that one of you driver guys need so long for this task. All ppl with this Type of Cards can't upgrade there distribution without lose fgrlx support.
              Hehehehehe... Nowadays I just find this kind of comments entertaining Those topics have been discussed to death, and still concepts such as "reasoning" and "common sense" just meet a hard wall. So screw it, keep 'em coming, make my day

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Hmm. Well, I never expected that kind of Spanish Inquisition... err, I mean, update for legacy fglrx. But yea, it doesn't seem to be that important, and in my case it's too late, as I just yesterday bought a new graphics card for my main pc, and the current one is doing well enough for HTPC use cases with r600g regardless.
                I disagree sir... What about laptop owners that have the "rather nice" 4xxx series mobility cards... fgrlx is enough of a train wreck (needing patch wizardry to running on newer kernels, older Xorg versions, etc.) without being stuck on an older even more restricted version of the driver. The FOSS solution is maturing nicely but doesn't cut it for power management (yet).

Comment

FOSS driver works for TF2

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Yeah I am hearing Team Fortress 2 is finally running for HD2000-4000 with this driver.
                  I tried playing TF2 with the 12.6 driver. However, I got tired of applying workarounds and patches, so it never played for me. Then I went back to the opensource drivers, and I can play it pretty well with my HD 4290. It is only at 640x480 mind you, and with lowest settings. But it plays fine!

Comment

There is a new legacy (13.9) Catalyst available supporting Windows Vista and up [Radeon HD 2k-4k series].
                    However, I guess we won't see another legacy Catalyst for this generation on Linux.
                    How well is the recent FOSS driver performing on these ASICs compared to the latest legacy release?

Comment

Rather well for anything i tested. What's the point of sticking to the old fglrx cruft ?

Comment

Working...
                      X