Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    If you boot and get the black screen:
    1. try to reach the first virtual terminal VT1 (ctrl-alt-f1), and if you can, log in then stop gdm/lightdm with "sudo service lightdm stop".
    2. Then unload fglrx: "sudo rmmod fglrx"
    3. See the x server error messages: "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log", copy that file to your desktop "cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Desktop" (it will be overwritten at next x start) then attach/post it here.

If you want to start lightdm, remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file: "sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf", then start lightdm/gdm with "sudo service lightdm start" (this is for lightdm).
    Thanks for reply. Here is the log file. btw, i installed fresh ubuntu 12.10 and this is log file after installing 13.1 driver.
    I got black screen again...

I couldn't paste the code here since it has 33k characters. So here's the link of some free file hosting where I uploaded that file: http://www.freefilehosting.net/xorg0 Hope that this is ok.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I have problems with pasting content of Xorg.0.log file since it has more characters than it's allowed. Is there any other way to paste it or attache it here?

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
        I have problems with pasting content of Xorg.0.log file since it has more characters than it's allowed. Is there any other way to paste it or attache it here?
        What about http://pastebin.com/ ?

Comment

Thank you, I didn't know for this. I'm new in Linux so there is so many things I don't know.
          I guess it will work like this
          Thanks once again.

Here's the link: http://pastebin.com/xM68F1bR

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
            Thank you, I didn't know for this. I'm new in Linux so there is so many things I don't know.
            I guess it will work like this
            Thanks once again.

Here's the link: http://pastebin.com/xM68F1bR
            It seems that for some reason X segfaults.

Maybe something like this?

Comment

Sounds a bit like one nvidia-current lightdm bug. You could try start lightdm from tty(if you can go there alt+cntrl+F1):
              sudo service lightdm stop
              sudo sleep 1 && sudo service lightdm start

Another blackscreen with binary plops is usually caused by kms, disable it in grub(hold shift on boot) by adding kernel boot parameter -nomodeset. Oh and check that you don't have PlugAndPlay OS on in bios, it could cause troubles(mostly on dual boots though).

Comment

tried both of your advises and it still not working. xrandr keeps telling "can't open display". When I type fglrxinfo I get error "Unable to open display (null)".
                I can paste my xorg.conf file if you think that you can find something helpful inside.
                Thanks a lot!

Comment

How are you trying to install it: From repo or from amd site? Have you read this:

Comment

Yeah, make sure that all dependencies mentioned in the above link are installed, and also "linux-headers-generic" package(except if you don't use the standard kernel, then you'll need corresponding headers, but chances are you use the standard one).
                    Also, you might want "radeon.modeset=0" to kernel parameters, I recalled I used this parameter on Chakra Linux(it was added by the Catalyst package they had).
                    May need "nouveau.modeset=0" too.
                    Also, I suggest trying to run this command : "sudo amdconfig --initial -f --adapter=all"
                    If it fails with "amdconfig" for some reason(can't find amdconfig) use aticonfig instead .. It might work since you have more that one graphics unit.
                    I don't know much more that I could .. Except plugging out one of that GPUs or disabling it in BIOS(if this is the problem).

Comment

Thank you both for reply.

@tuke I tried from repo, from amd site, from additional drivers screen and from synaptic manager. every time I get the same result....
                      went through cchtml guide and from precision while I was on 12.04 and through Quantal since I'm on 12.10.

@Rigaldo Tried everything you sad and still the same... about the other card, I saw in xorg.0.log file that driver is not installed for it and that it's ignored. btw, It was switched off in bios as well.

Thank you for trying...

Comment

Working...
                      X