No announcement yet.

No GUI after installing ATI Driver HD6770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm how is your vga cable, that log says it probes edid 4 times; failing 3 and succeeding ones. Are you using tft or crt and can you use dvi cable instead of vga.

Comment

I have VGA cable only with connector for DVI. My monitor doesn't have DVI connector. btw I have LG E2251 LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
        I have VGA cable only with connector for DVI. My monitor doesn't have DVI connector. btw I have LG E2251 LCD.
        Hmm LG, it has same named displays for different countries and with different outputs. Check the cable that it has all 15 pins on it, some vga cables might leave some pins out(specially that both 12th and 15th pins exist).

Another thing is that lg has been quite notorius by having broken edid tables. That can be workarounded by software side: you could probe edid directly from display with get-edid parse-edid combo, those can be found in read-edid package: sudo apt-get install read-edid

And then probe the edid from the monitor: sudo get-edid | sudo parse-edid

If there indeed are problems getting edid or getting broken edid tables from the monitor, you could check if you can find something from ubuntuforums thread conserning subject matter:
        I've got a laptop with a bad EDID, and it's apparently preventing me from using the nvidia graphics driver properly. So I want to force a new EDID I will make myself, and apply it as per this guide. Anyone knows how?

This HOWTO is for problems related to incorrect resolutions resulting from EDID problems. In other words, your video card is unable to detect the correct EDID settings from your monitor, at the fault of your video card driver. I tested this with my Nvidia GeForce MX440 Go. As I cannot take credit for the solution, here is a link to the original post at nVnews forums: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1068062&postcount=26 Please note that unless you know what you are doing,

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          Hmm LG, it has same named displays for different countries and with different outputs. Check the cable that it has all 15 pins on it, some vga cables might leave some pins out(specially that both 12th and 15th pins exist).

Another thing is that lg has been quite notorius by having broken edid tables. That can be workarounded by software side: you could probe edid directly from display with get-edid parse-edid combo, those can be found in read-edid package: sudo apt-get install read-edid

And then probe the edid from the monitor: sudo get-edid | sudo parse-edid

If there indeed are problems getting edid or getting broken edid tables from the monitor, you could check if you can find something from ubuntuforums thread conserning subject matter:
          I've got a laptop with a bad EDID, and it's apparently preventing me from using the nvidia graphics driver properly. So I want to force a new EDID I will make myself, and apply it as per this guide. Anyone knows how?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316985
          Thanks for reply, but at the end I managed to fix the problem today. I installed 12.04 and checked if there is 3D acceleration with default driver and it was there. Later on I googled how to change resolution on Full HD and managed to do that.
          So now ';m running Ubuntu 12.04 with Full HD resolution with 3D acceleration. The only thing I don't have is ATI Control Center, which I don't really need.
          Thank you all once again for your replies, you are all great!!!

Comment

Working...
          X