Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No GUI after installing ATI Driver HD6770

Hello everyone,

I'm very sorry if this problem is already solved, but I couldn't find it on the forum.
    Here's my case. I have AMD athlon II X4 and Saphire HD 6770 with Vapor X.
    What ever video driver I tried to install I finished with Black Screen after reboot.
    I tried this:
    1. Ubuntu 12.04LTS with propriate driver and it fails
    2. Ubuntu 12.04LTS with drivers from AMD web site (12.10) and beta driver as well
    3. Ubuntu 12.04LTS from PPA I found online (cant remember which one...)
    4. Ubuntu 12.04LTS fglrx from synaptic manager
    5. Ubuntu 12.10 with all above
    6. Ubuntu 12.10 with new driver 13.1
    7. changed grub to nomodeset
    8. change lightdm to gdm
    9. I think I read everything on askubuntu (I know I didn't, just feeling like that...)
    The only thing I didn't try is to install 13.1 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS. But with previous experience, I'm almost certain that it will fail as well.(going to do it right now)
    For last 2 months I'm struggling with this and it's very irittating.
    I purged fglrx so many time that I lost count.

I would be more than gratefull if anyone could help.
    Thank you!!

p.s. Sorry for my English :S

Does graphics acceleration etc.. work OK if you install 12.10 and run with the default open source drivers ?

Wondering if you might have a configuration the fglrx drivers don't know about for some reason.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Does graphics acceleration etc.. work OK if you install 12.10 and run with the default open source drivers ?

Wondering if you might have a configuration the fglrx drivers don't know about for some reason.

No it doesn't. And the max resolution I can set is 1024x768...
      That's actualy the reason I want to install driver. Because my max resolution is 1024x768 and because I cant play HON
      Once I type something in terminal which gave some info output. There it sad that my GPU clock is 30Mhz....
      Do you have any idea what could fix this?
      Thanks for the fast reply!

Comment

OK, now that's wierd. At this point my first thought would be that you were running some kind of hybrid graphics or other multi-GPU configuration but am I correct in understanding that this is a desktop system with single GPU ?
        Test signature

Comment

OK, now that's wierd. At this point my first thought would be that you were running some kind of hybrid graphics or other multi-GPU configuration but am I correct in understanding that this is a desktop system with single GPU ?
          Now when you mention it. It's desktop, but I do have onboard nvidia card, which has never been turn on (or st least I think so). Thank you mention it, I'll check it right away if it's on in BIOS.
          At least I can try the procedure for hybride graphics.
          Thanks!

Comment

My first guess would be that for some reason the NVidia graphics is being exposed rather than the AMD graphics. You could get an idea by looking through the output of lspci.
            Test signature

Comment

My first guess would be that for some reason the NVidia graphics is being exposed rather than the AMD graphics. You could get an idea by looking through the output of lspci.
              I did, and it see only ATI... I'm done for today, 5 hours... Tomorrow I''l continue.
              Thanks for reply.

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
                I did, and it see only ATI... I'm done for today, 5 hours... Tomorrow I''l continue.
                Thanks for reply.
                Did you do a "sudo aticonfig --initial" after installing the driver (before reboot/restart x)?

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
                  Did you do a "sudo aticonfig --initial" after installing the driver (before reboot/restart x)?
                  Yes I did. I'm not sure if this forum allow, but I can paste links of the guides I followed...
                  Thanks for response!

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
                    Yes I did. I'm not sure if this forum allow, but I can paste links of the guides I followed...
                    Thanks for response!
                    If you boot and get the black screen:
                    1. try to reach the first virtual terminal VT1 (ctrl-alt-f1), and if you can, log in then stop gdm/lightdm with "sudo service lightdm stop".
                    2. Then unload fglrx: "sudo rmmod fglrx"
                    3. See the x server error messages: "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log", copy that file to your desktop "cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Desktop" (it will be overwritten at next x start) then attach/post it here.

If you want to start lightdm, remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file: "sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf", then start lightdm/gdm with "sudo service lightdm start" (this is for lightdm).

Comment

Working...
                    X