Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting sensors

Hi, I have several questions:
    • What is the exact syntax for enabling sensors using the MONITOR variable? I was able to find "MONITOR=cpu.usage" in the forum, but I don't quite see where I'm supposed to get these names. Do I just look at the output of phoronix-test-suite system-sensors, pick a sensor, replace spaces with periods and coerce all chars to lowercase?
    • Is it possible to define several sensors - if so, how do I do this - I'm guessing a delimiter is used to put everything into the MONITOR variable?
    • Are there any plans to allow specification of used sensors in test-definition.xml?
    Last edited by myxal; 21 January 2013, 10:12 AM. Reason: another question

Originally posted by myxal View Post
    Hi, I have several questions:
    • What is the exact syntax for enabling sensors using the MONITOR variable? I was able to find "MONITOR=cpu.usage" in the forum, but I don't quite see where I'm supposed to get these names. Do I just look at the output of phoronix-test-suite system-sensors, pick a sensor, replace spaces with periods and coerce all chars to lowercase?
    • Is it possible to define several sensors - if so, how do I do this - I'm guessing a delimiter is used to put everything into the MONITOR variable?
    • Are there any plans to allow specification of used sensors in test-definition.xml?
    - it should be shown in the documentation.

- the delimiter is a comma, you can also use MONITOR=all or say MONITOR=cpu.all

- Can you elaborate? You can already use MONITOR= with any test profile.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi Michael, sorry for getting back to this after such a delay.
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      - it should be shown in the documentation.
      Sorry, can't find it anywhere. The old-docs/result-parser.xml refers to a "phodevi name" of a sensor, but I can't figure out where I should get these names. The PTS' system-sensors command only outputs human-friendly names:
      Code:
      $ phoronix-test-suite system-sensors

Phoronix Test Suite v4.4.0m3
      Supported Sensors

CPU Frequency: 2.30 Megahertz
      CPU Usage: 16.70 Percent
      - the delimiter is a comma, you can also use MONITOR=all or say MONITOR=cpu.all
      Ahh, so if I want to monitor, say CPU usage and memory usage, I launch:
      MONITOR=cpu.usage,memory.usage phoronix-test-suite benchmark...
      - Can you elaborate? You can already use MONITOR= with any test profile.
      I mean that the user has to remember to launch PTS with these parameters. Would it be possible to define some sort of "default" list of sensors inside test-definition.xml, which would be monitored (unless overridden by manually specifying the MONITOR variable), so that the burden is taken away from the user?
      Looking at the existing PTS test profiles, I can only see profiles with a single sensor in results-definition. My goal is to define a result based on some command output or only one sensor too, but monitor and save a chart for multiple sensors from a single run.

Comment

Working...
      X