No announcement yet.

Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

Phoronix: Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

It was announced this afternoon in a laconic press release that NVIDIA will be acquiring AGEIA Technologies. AGEIA is the company behind the PhysX SDK and their Physics Processing Unit (PPU)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

It was announced this afternoon in a laconic press release that NVIDIA will be acquiring AGEIA Technologies. AGEIA is the company behind the PhysX SDK and their Physics Processing Unit (PPU)...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjMxOA
    i think that new boards with GeForce+PhysX could work better for gaming workstations. having linux drivers that support this natively together with gallium 3d would mean a new era for gaming on linux. knowing that gaming is still the last strenght of windows against linux if this last barrier wold also fall then we would see a lot of people who could come to linux from windows.
    this news, in my opinion, is a good one for linux community, regardless of nvidia opensourcing or not.

Comment

can someone explain to me how PPU is going to be supported in UT3 under the linux client when there is no PPU driver?

I don't see how an SDK changes this fundamental fact.....

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
        can someone explain to me how PPU is going to be supported in UT3 under the linux client when there is no PPU driver?
        The hardware PPU itself won't be supported, but the PhysX library for software physics rendering is supported.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Gaming is not Microsoft strength anymore.
          You can clearly see it from ETQW performance on Vista and Linux.
          Or even better example would be WoW running much better in Cedega then in XP.
          The problem is publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
            Gaming is not Microsoft strength anymore.
            You can clearly see it from ETQW performance on Vista and Linux.
            Or even better example would be WoW running much better in Cedega then in XP.
            The problem is publishers.
            Strange, I always thought games were the only thing
            windows was good for ;-)

DirectX is still a rather convenient all-in-one solution for all your Graphics, Input and Audio needs
            (desping it having a rather awkwark programming interface).

More on topic: I still don't understand what that Ageia card is useful for (despite milking another $200 out of the idiot crowd). I doubt anyone will notice the difference in particle trajectories calculated by a CPU or that Ageia thing...

Comment

In benchmarks games with hw acc are usally even slower than without but show some particles more. Maybe nv wants to add it to the core gfx chips as extra goodie, but then hopefully with higher clockrate than the addon boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The hardware PPU itself won't be supported, but the PhysX library for software physics rendering is supported.
                ah, i was going to buy UT3 and an Ageia PPU, that's changed now.

Comment

Working...
                X