Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Low Memory Booster For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Aggressive Low Memory Booster For The Linux Kernel

Last week on the Linux kernel mailing list was a proposal for an Aggressive Low Memory Booster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

..with limited amounts of RAM.
    Not interesting for desktop/server users, and even for many smartphones, especially the upcoming ones. Skip.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Not interesting for desktop/server users, and even for many smartphones, especially the upcoming ones. Skip.
      I think my parents' old 512MB box, which is still in intensive use, will benefit . Running chrome + wine(Office 2007) + vlc takes a lot of RAM already...

Comment

Computers with 512MB are pretty much a thing of the past and getting fewer and memory is dirt cheap.
        I'd like them to focus on stuff that matters today and will matter in the future, rather on an issue becoming increasingly irrelevant.

And btw, don't be so cheap, buy your parents some RAM it's really cheap nowadays while playing a central role.
        Last edited by mark45; 20 January 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Computers with 512MB are pretty much a thing of the past and getting fewer and memory is dirt cheap.
          I'd like them to focus on stuff that matters today and will matter in the future, rather on an issue becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Memory is soldered on my NAS.

Comment

Ultrabook with 4Gb of soldered on RAM that I sometimes max out when I pull open a lot of Firefox tabs so this may help me a fair bit.

If nothing else its helping the mobile / embedded market with little to no downside for desktop/server so I dont see the big deal. This just helps the idea that Linux is an "anywhere" OS. Highend server? CPU Scheduler scales perfectly. Low end mobile? Low RAM requirements and CPU scheduler scales back down perfectly.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              It's interesting that the kernel devs have to come up with ways to optimize memory usage instead of the programmers no longer being the pigs they are and write programs that use less memory. It's an insult when I open a document and it eats more than 100 MB RAM or rhythmbox eating 63 MB right now... And don't bring me the functionality argument. it does the same thing it did 10 years ago while eating more memory. It's the programmers that suck.
              Your argumentation is not very systematically and consistently because in another part of the forum you argument is BIG FAT SUPER LARGE IS BEST ALL OTHER IS SHIT:
              http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...eatures/page23
              And now your argument is: slim and light and ram efficiency is best all other is a insult.

The Logical failure is: the Radeon driver need LESS RAM and is more Light and more SLIM and do have a much higher efficiency if you calculate the lines of codes to the result because the catalyst do have ~40-50 million lines of code its a super "fatt" ugly pig!

In my point of view you are just a idiot and this is a *statement of FACT* not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Aggressive Low Memory Booster For The Linux Kernel

Last week on the Linux kernel mailing list was a proposal for an Aggressive Low Memory Booster...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3OTI

I wonder if this the attempt that was talked about on lwn awhile back with regards to android. Their current oom_killer is pretty awful.
                BTW, low end phones, like in 3rd world countries, are going to continue to ship with crap hardware for awhile. That is why Firefox OS has been working to get their platform humming along on low specs.
                So, this kind of work, while perhaps not useful for you, will be useful to many others.
                Last edited by liam; 20 January 2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Their current oom_killer is pretty awful.
                  What, you don't like random processes that may or may not be important being killed?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    What, you don't like random processes that may or may not be important being killed?
                    I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess this work is pretty useless

Comment

Working...
                    X