Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe Gallium3D Sees A Bit Of New Activity

Phoronix: LLVMpipe Gallium3D Sees A Bit Of New Activity

A bit of new code was committed this week for Gallium3D's LLVMpipe software driver that attempts to provide modest OpenGL performance as a software fallback by taking advantage of LLVM to exploit multiple CPU cores and the latest instruction set extensions on modern processors. Unfortunately, the rate of advancement for LLVMpipe still isn't too fast...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LLVMpipe useless?

On old hardware LLVMpipe is useless because old hardware is too slow and doesn't have modern processor features that LLVMpipe uses.

On modern hardware LLVMpipe is useless because they come with an integrated graphics processing unit.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      On old hardware LLVMpipe is useless because old hardware is too slow and doesn't have modern processor features that LLVMpipe uses.

On modern hardware LLVMpipe is useless because they come with an integrated graphics processing unit.
      LLVMpipe has basically become a proof-of-concept driver, a testbed for new extensions to see how they should work in software, things like that (as far as I can tell the articles that have come up about it) its slightly useful for VM's who just need a barebones desktop but thats really about it... I know RedHat is working on a QXL-based KMS driver so that KVM based VM's will have access to the graphics card and 3D
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
      X