Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opera To Release WebKit-Based Web Browser

Default Opera To Release WebKit-Based Web Browser

Phoronix: Opera To Release WebKit-Based Web Browser

Next month Opera will be rolling out "Opera Ice", a new web-browser for smart-phones and tablets. This mobile Opera browser won't be built on their Presto engine but rather the popular WebKit engine. Initially this WebKit-browser is just targeting the mobile space but it's expected to eventually land on the desktop too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3ODU

This is from the same people that said Facebook would 100% buy Opera a while ago. There is no press release from Opera so take it with a grain of salt.

I really don't know what to make of this. I've been an Opera user for 13 years. I don't hate WebKit but I was under the impression they were very proud of their engine.

Too bad their problems with dark themes are in the UI layer, not in the HTML rendering engine.

im 10 year opera user and i think webkit engine might be a good idea.
    their presto engine is good and all that, but it just doesnt grow with new features fast enough.
    so i think switching to webkit will grant us, opera users, more rapid updates and features to keep up.

lets wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Too bad their problems with dark themes are in the UI layer, not in the HTML rendering engine.
    There's problems with both actually and it's the one thing I hate about Opera but I've managed to make it bearable.

One less rendering engine is not good for web standards; especially in the mobile space, where people may already be tempted to target webkit instead of standards because of the Android/iPhone dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCycoONE View Post
    One less rendering engine is not good for web standards; especially in the mobile space, where people may already be tempted to target webkit instead of standards because of the Android/iPhone dominance.
    If you want to port a browser to iOS, WebKit is the only choice.
    Specifically the version of WebKit that Safari is using. That's what Firefox had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    This is from the same people that said Facebook would 100% buy Opera a while ago. There is no press release from Opera so take it with a grain of salt.
    ...a cup of salt

Indeed, loosing Opera's rendering engine on both desktop and mobile will be a big blow to web standards.
    As much as webkit is cool, it is dangerous if it is "the one and only"...