Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Flaws with KDE:
    Oxygen sucks. It's horrendous on the eyes. But you can change it. Also you can increase font sizes.
    I use kde everywhere, but I do agree, Oxygen is ass. It is such a busy theme, the color scheme reminds me of beige boxes from the 90s, and it doesn't show off some of the neat kde transparency at all. And yeah, the fonts are crap and too small for me. I alway use Deja Vu at 10 - 11 point. I wonder if a lot of the anti-kde sentiment is over the default theme. There are a lot of themes!

Comment

Originally posted by kdekorte View Post
      2. Don't ignore users with dual screens. gnome-shell is a pain to use on high resolution and dual monitor setups as there is way too much mouse movement needed to accomplish things
      3. Selecting non-docked apps is a pain
      4. Dynamic workspaces are awful (I have disabled them by default), I use workspaces for tasks and I don't like them moving around.
      The things listed by you are almost the ones I like most on Gnome. Dynamic workspaces suits great for me. I have kind of "chaotic" way to work. I just open applications/windows on one workspace, until I feel there is no room - then I move second one and so on. If I search opened window or application, I use alt+tab or alt+{key above tab}. Which again suits perfectly, after I did install the extension "Alt tab always show thumbnails".

And, I launch applications mainly by hitting Win+few letters + enter. Fast and easy and I don' need to take my hands of my keyboard. When I need to search application using mouse from any kind of list of any kind of start menu, it is slow anyway. Traditional start-up menus tend to be quite hard to use for me when there is tons of applications on them.

I am using quite a lot dual screen setup with my laptop. I use the default way so that second monitor does not have menus/anything other than empty screen. It feels ok, but if the user used both screens heavily, I see the problem. I know that you may enable "Workspaces" on secondary monitor too, but I have never tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
        Like in other threads about Gnome3, I just want to balance out all the hate and say I really like it. All the negativity held me back from using it, giving me a preconceived opinion, but now I'm happy I did. Look forward to how it develops (like the example with Gnome 2.0 and 2.32). Sure there's Mac envy, but the whole world has that. In my opinion I much much prefer Gnome3 to OSX. The usability and workflow in Gnome3 feels more comfortable for me than OSX, which I have to use some times (no idea about Win8, don't care a bit).

Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion. I loved Gnome1, hated the early Gnome2, used E16 exclusively for ~6 years, went back to late Gnome2 because of work, tolerated it and then liked it. Now I like working in Gnome3, and actually am a bit excited about it. We're all different, but I must say the hate is getting old.

One thing that will make me scream with anger though, is if Gnome3 removes the ability to use sloppy focus! Can't work without it, and hate OSX for not giving me the option. Please don't copy that, Gnome-devs!

Lastly, I agree TweakTool should be build in, makes no sense it is a separate download. And I use dual monitors, no problem with that (essential for my work, so happy it works like before). Haven't tried 3 monitors though.
        And there's nothing wrong with you liking it, despite what some trolls might say.

Personally I have my issues with Gnome 3, I am actually mostly a KDE guy actually, but I can see why it would appeal to some. I think the biggest thing the Gnome-devs could do to do to help themselves is try to listen to the community a bit more, talk about improvements and what needs doing etc and less of the propaganda stuff, which I think most us can see through.
        All the talks of "vision" and "brand recognition" etc seems typical for a commercial product of some kind, but feels very odd in a FOSS desktop product.

Anyway Gnome 3 will no doubt improve over time in stability and performance and there's certainly no shortage of extensions for the Shell now. I don't know if I could ever fully adjust to the way Gnome is doing things now and KDE is doing what I need it to perfectly fine for the last couple years, but Gnome will have it's audience. But I just think the Gnome guys could reduce the haterade being flung at them by tweaking a few things, but that's just my 2c

Comment

I'm probably the only one who likes Oxygen. For the most part, it's my favorite theme. The only thing I change is the color scheme and the radial blur background. I really like how it renders the decoration and window like a slab. I even think the scrollbars are nice. It's a really unique theme that stands apart from everything else on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            I wonder if a lot of the anti-kde sentiment is over the default theme. There are a lot of themes!
            My personal beef is that I despise the KDE4 panel - I just can not wrap my head around how one is supposed to configure it. I have other gripes (I do indeed find Oxygen unappealing, and I find much of the KDE applications to be unstable) but my dislike of the panel is my main concern. However, I am not going to spam the internet because of it. I am quite happy with Xfce and the direction it is going, so why should I go bashing the developers of another system?

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
            I'm probably the only one who likes Oxygen. For the most part, it's my favorite theme. The only thing I change is the color scheme and the radial blur background. I really like how it renders the decoration and window like a slab. I even think the scrollbars are nice. It's a really unique theme that stands apart from everything else on Linux.
            Speaking of personal little picky points - there are not degrees of uniqueness. Something is either unique or it isn't. So by saying that something "is very unique" you are in fact implying that it isn't.

I have been listening to some of George Carlin's language rants, can't you tell?
            Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 19 January 2013, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by developer View Post
              Those preferring KDE, are for a big surprise in KDE 4.10.

The minimize/maximize/close buttons have moved to the left, the window title has moved to the right, and there is a new menu on left, that is vertical like GNOME's.

Personally, I suggest all people that ask me, to use XFCE, until LXDE is finished. Myself am using Lubuntu with LXDE.
              That is REALLY not true....

Comment

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
                I'm probably the only one who likes Oxygen.
                Nope, you are not the only one

Comment

Ah yes, KDE.

The few times I've tried it, it felt totally unusable to me. I mean, what is the deal with all this animation gimmicky. For me a GUI is an interface and its responsiveness one of the primary factors deciding about its usability. I am certainly not using a GUI to watch stuff fading/blending/scrolling in and out.

And yes I've tried disabling as much of this animation/effects nonsense as possible and it still felt sluggish to the level of being annoying... this was on a 2GHz dual core Intel laptop, GEN4 GPU running Fedora/KDE btw.

Running XFCE atm as I don't share the great GNOME vision.

Comment

Gnome have no vision now. They should have kept the old 2 panel layout and just improve under the hood aka gtk3 clutter what ever. When kde when for kde4 they didn`t change the hole desktop layout u had same bottom panel they did get alot of new things to the desktop but the basic layout remained the same. In my opinion people should try Cinnamon and all non paid developers from Gnome go and join Cinnamon project, u`ll much more love from users there than in gnome camp. And as for people liking gnome 3 ofc u`ll see a few every camp has his fanboy user database. I used gnome since ubuntu 11.04 used it with classic desktop aka gnome 2.32 i guess. But lately i swiched to Kde in gnome 2 era it eate alot of cpu on my system now since like kde 4.8 series has the same memory usage and cpu footprint as good old gnome 2. And yes i dont like the defaults of kde i always change it and disable the blur an other bling bling that kills your eyes after a few hours.Last days i tryed E17 it finally reached stable installed it in a virtual machine it`s kindaa cool don`t know it is for me tho. The fact is i am not really mate or hate gnome 3 i am just glad that are so many DE out there that can chose from so until gnome gets back on track it might never will i`ll just use other DE that fits my need.
                    I my opinion gnome 3 will never give in their goal to become a touch orientated desktop the won`t admit they were or are wrong, never. If i weren`t for redhat backing them up they would have been lost into oblivion along time ago. I still cant image next redhat 7 release with default DE gnome 3.x that won`t work in enterprise , business environment.

Comment

Me too!

Originally posted by Sverro2 View Post
                      Nope, you are not the only one
                      I like the default KDE theme too (although the 1st thing I do after booting is installing oxygen-transparent).
                      A also install KDE (Chakra to be more specific) from time to time so I could rest from Ubuntu and see what's new, I like it. BUT, digiKam is useless when it comes to RAW editing (and since I'm a photographer I can't bear it). I know that I could use GTK+ apps under KDE (Darktable FTW!), but that makes the system looks absolutely inconsistent......

Just my 2c...

Comment

Working...
                      X