Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction Of GNOME To Be Discussed Next Month

Phoronix: Direction Of GNOME To Be Discussed Next Month

Vincent Untz will be speaking at FOSDEM early next month in Brussels to "clarify the directions the GNOME project is taking, and to explain the rationale for various decisions." He's hoping that after this Belgian conference people will better understand the course of the GNOME desktop and begin to rebuild trust in the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't you knaves SEE??/ having the interface I want is the only way to use a computer! You can't change it, stop that! Do things my way! Where did everyone go? We are going to be so big on tablets, you wait and see!

...plasma active / ubuntu phone / android / ios whip by....

Comment

Do whatever you want, GNOME

I got tired of all the functionality - and productivity - being drained from GNOME. After using GNOME exclusively for as long as it has existed, I switched all our machines to KDE at the end of last year. It was like jumping a decade into the future. I don't really care about GNOME anymore. I don't care about their direction. To paraphrase, read my lips: it's about my productivity and ease of use, not your direction.

Comment

Why would I care about the rationalizations behind their decisions to transform their product from one I surely loved into one I surely hate?

(my detailed gnome shell review http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-263609.html )
        Last edited by hubick; 18 January 2013, 05:12 PM. Reason: add detailed review link

Comment

Vincent Untz will be speaking at FOSDEM early next month in Brussels to "clarify the directions the GNOME project is taking, and to explain the rationale for various decisions." He's hoping that after this Belgian conference people will better understand the course of the GNOME desktop and begin to rebuild trust in the project.
          So, it's not about improvements, but about propaganda?

Comment

Gnome 3.6 is good

It is starting to be usable again. 3.0 and 3.2 were pretty disastrous, unstable and lots of things were not working as they were intended. And notifications system was bad. I did like certain things already, but they just were not ready.

Now, 3.4 did improve situation already a little bit, and 3.6 is now great!

But, there is still room for improvement. I would like to see following things
            - Gnome Tweak tool should be installed in default, and System Settings should integrate it under "Advanced settings"
            - few extensions should be included by default as configurable settings, like - "Always show workspaces", "Alt tab mod - Always show thumbnails", "Activities Configurator" among few others.This would give more configuration options for users. These should be included under "Advanced settings"
            - printer configuration applet does not work properly.

Comment

User Feedback

Gnome 3 is a great piece of work in many ways. But the designers have frequently rejected user feedback, they need to take some of that into account.

Some things that they are doing that need work

1. The blatant rip off of the Mac interface, they need to stop that. Things like the application menus on the top and much of the look and feel has a heavy Mac influence. They need to stop this, because if I wanted a Mac I would go buy one. The application menu on the top annoys me to no end and I don't want it.

2. Don't ignore users with dual screens. gnome-shell is a pain to use on high resolution and dual monitor setups as there is way too much mouse movement needed to accomplish things

3. Selecting non-docked apps is a pain

4. Dynamic workspaces are awful (I have disabled them by default), I use workspaces for tasks and I don't like them moving around.

These are just some of the common ones I have seen, and I would like to see the designers comment on these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kdekorte View Post
                1. The blatant rip off of the Mac interface, they need to stop that. Things like the application menus on the top and much of the look and feel has a heavy Mac influence. They need to stop this, because if I wanted a Mac I would go buy one. The application menu on the top annoys me to no end and I don't want it.
                I think Unity rips off Mac more than GNOME. I haven't used GNOME 3 yet but from what I've seen the menus and the window decorations are the only things that seem very Mac-like.

2. Don't ignore users with dual screens. gnome-shell is a pain to use on high resolution and dual monitor setups as there is way too much mouse movement needed to accomplish things
                What I find interesting about this article is Vincent didn't explain the direction of GNOME, he just simply stated it was misunderstood. Anyways, to me, GNOME is trying to be tablet focused. That being said, if you use it for desktop PC purposes, you're likely to get a significantly worse experience. It reminds me a lot of Windows 8, where some decisions seem asinine and are unproductive but they don't really matter on a small resolution touchscreen.

To me, GNOME 3 would receieve a lot less hate, if any, if they didn't call it GNOME. This is because it doesn't resemble GNOME 2 in any way, and it is NOT suitable as the default linux DE. Today, I'd say XFCE should get the crown of default DE. It isn't my favorite but it's the most balanced. XFCE isn't basic but it isn't full of useless features either. It isn't ugly but it's not too flashy. It doesn't have too many dependencies. It runs fine on most systems. The programs associated with it aren't all that amazing but they're stable. I see KDE being the DE of choice when you want a fancy setup that you can customize to any little way you want. Unity is good as a flashy introductory UI, but I personally find it very user unfriendly for productivity. Then there's LXDE for barebone systems. Put a PURPOSE to a DE and everyone wins in their own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  So, it's not about improvements, but about propaganda?
                  It's not a discussion, it is a sermon.

Comment

Those preferring KDE, are for a big surprise in KDE 4.10.

The minimize/maximize/close buttons have moved to the left, the window title has moved to the right, and there is a new menu on left, that is vertical like GNOME's.

Personally, I suggest all people that ask me, to use XFCE, until LXDE is finished. Myself am using Lubuntu with LXDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X