There's Talk Again About Btrfs For Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I never said anything about SUSE using Btrfs as default.
    What is wrong with you? You responded to my comment about btrfs being the default filesystem in a conservative linux distro by saying that SUSE supports btrfs, and then when I point out that it is not the default filesystem, you claim not to know what I am talking about.

Are you just trolling for fun? Or are you really having that much trouble following the thread of conversation?

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
      It really has no place here. If it happens, you will find out when everyone else does.
      This is very amusing. You want to assert something without providing any evidence of it. If it has no place here, you shouldn't have bought it up at all in the first place. As far as Btrfs vs ZFS arguments, I have no interest in them. There are customers who need one or the other and are willing to invest in them heavily and there are non-paying but important community players who are participating and as long as there is interest and/or money, these technologies will be developed in parallel and flourish just fine. No amount of snipping in forums is going to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
        You responded to my comment about btrfs being the default filesystem in a conservative linux distro by saying that SUSE supports btrfs, and then when I point out that it is not the default filesystem, you claim not to know what I am talking about.
        I am snipping out the personal insults. You were comparing Btrfs and ZFS. I am pointing that Btrfs is already commercially supported and has production level deployments by several vendors as a data point. Take it for what its worth.

Comment

I am pointing that Btrfs is already commercially supported and has production level deployments by several vendors as a data point. Take it for what its worth.
          Which is irrelevant to my comment that btrfs still does not have a conservative distro that uses btrfs as the default filesystem.

It took 4 or 5 years for ZFS to become the default filesystem in Solaris.

btrfs development is going on 6 years now, and no conservative linux distro trusts btrfs enough to make it the default filesystem.
          That makes btrfs slower in development than ZFS. And I see no sign that things are speeding up for btrfs. I wonder if btrfs will ever be good enough to use as the default filesystem for a conservative linux distro.
          Last edited by jwilliams; 17 January 2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

This is very amusing. You want to assert something without providing any evidence of it. If it has no place here, you shouldn't have bought it up at all in the first place. As far as Btrfs vs ZFS arguments, I have no interest in them. There are customers who need one or the other and are willing to invest in them heavily and there are non-paying but important community players who are participating and as long as there is interest and/or money, these technologies will be developed in parallel and flourish just fine. No amount of snipping in forums is going to change that.
            I withdrew that comment by editing my post because I did not want to speak for other people. Excuse me for making an obscure comment that was not my place to make. If that distribution that I have in mind switches, they will be the ones to announce it, not me.

Comment

Sorry. I am not buying it unless you name the distro in question.
              I assume he must be referring to one of Oracle's distros (probably OL since they've already brought over DTrace as a module,though I'll be curious how they'll manage to integrate zfs).
              However, he may also be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                I assume he must be referring to one of Oracle's distros (probably OL since they've already brought over DTrace as a module,though I'll be curious how they'll manage to integrate zfs).
                However, he may also be mistaken.
                Oracle's Linux developers and I have no contact with each other. I have no idea what they are doing aside from what I hear from people who talked to Oracle. As far as I have heard, Oracle regards Linux as being a lower-end offering. They seem to have no plans to port ZFS from Solaris because that would affect product differentiation.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                  Oracle's Linux developers and I have no contact with each other. I have no idea what they are doing aside from what I hear from people who talked to Oracle. As far as I have heard, Oracle regards Linux as being a lower-end offering. They seem to have no plans to port ZFS from Solaris because that would affect product differentiation.
                  Well, one would think porting DTrace would lessen the differentiation but they did that.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
                    Which is irrelevant to my comment that btrfs still does not have a conservative distro that uses btrfs as the default filesystem. .
                    That's where we disagree. Production level deployments and commercial support from multiple vendors are strong indicators of the maturity level of the filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Well, one would think porting DTrace would lessen the differentiation but they did that.
                      DTrace is a debugging feature. It does not affect production use outside of possible performance tuning.

Comment

Working...
                      X