Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BUG] PTS cannot parse some system information on OS X

Hi,
    I'm having some problems getting PTS to obtain some of the system information. I first stumbled upon this when I was implementing my own sensors and noticed that the stock cpu frequency sensor was reporting wrong frequency. I investigated that occurrence and nailed it down to PTS not expecting comma instead of period as a decimal separator. I now executed the detailed system information and found out that there were more missing/wrong fields:
    Code:
    $ phoronix-test-suite detailed-system-info

Phoronix Test Suite v4.2.0
    System Information

Hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: Apple MacBook, Chipset: NVIDIA MCP79, Memory: x 0 DDR3-1067MHz, Disk: 120 03GB INTEL SSDSC2MH120A2, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB, Monitor: HP LP2475w

Software:
    OS: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60), Kernel: 12.2.0 (x86_64), Compiler: Clang 4.1 + GCC 4.2.1 + Xcode 4.5.2 + CUDA 5.0, File-System: Journaled HFS+, Screen Resolution: 1920x1200

[B]PROCESSOR:

Core Count: 
    Thread Count: 
    Cache Size:  KB[/B]
    Instruction Set Extensions: 
    AES Encryption: NO
    Energy Performance Bias: NO
    Virtualization: NO
    Compiler Configuration: --build=i686-apple-darwin11 --disable-checking --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --enable-llvm=/private/var/tmp/llvmgcc42/llvmgcc42-2336.11~67/dst-llvmCore/Developer/usr/local --enable-werror --host=x86_64-apple-darwin11 --mandir=/share/man --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin11- --program-prefix=llvm- --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --target=i686-apple-darwin11 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib
    IIRC, PTS parses output from some OS X hardware-listing utility, but can't remember what it was. Tell me what output you need and I will post the output.

BTW, I'm looking for a way to include information about the version numbers of the software I'm testing (the software is not part of the test profile, so the version has to be detected at run-time). What it the best way to do this? I was thinking about including the info in "System information" table in the result XML. If that IS the recommended way, can you give me some pointers as to what parts of PTS need changing?

Originally posted by myxal View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having some problems getting PTS to obtain some of the system information. I first stumbled upon this when I was implementing my own sensors and noticed that the stock cpu frequency sensor was reporting wrong frequency. I investigated that occurrence and nailed it down to PTS not expecting comma instead of period as a decimal separator. I now executed the detailed system information and found out that there were more missing/wrong fields:
    Code:
    $ phoronix-test-suite detailed-system-info

Phoronix Test Suite v4.2.0
    System Information

Hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: Apple MacBook, Chipset: NVIDIA MCP79, Memory: x 0 DDR3-1067MHz, Disk: 120 03GB INTEL SSDSC2MH120A2, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB, Monitor: HP LP2475w

Software:
    OS: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60), Kernel: 12.2.0 (x86_64), Compiler: Clang 4.1 + GCC 4.2.1 + Xcode 4.5.2 + CUDA 5.0, File-System: Journaled HFS+, Screen Resolution: 1920x1200

[B]PROCESSOR:

Core Count: 
    Thread Count: 
    Cache Size:  KB[/B]
    Instruction Set Extensions: 
    AES Encryption: NO
    Energy Performance Bias: NO
    Virtualization: NO
    Compiler Configuration: --build=i686-apple-darwin11 --disable-checking --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --enable-llvm=/private/var/tmp/llvmgcc42/llvmgcc42-2336.11~67/dst-llvmCore/Developer/usr/local --enable-werror --host=x86_64-apple-darwin11 --mandir=/share/man --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin11- --program-prefix=llvm- --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --target=i686-apple-darwin11 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib
    IIRC, PTS parses output from some OS X hardware-listing utility, but can't remember what it was. Tell me what output you need and I will post the output.

BTW, I'm looking for a way to include information about the version numbers of the software I'm testing (the software is not part of the test profile, so the version has to be detected at run-time). What it the best way to do this? I was thinking about including the info in "System information" table in the result XML. If that IS the recommended way, can you give me some pointers as to what parts of PTS need changing?
    Most of the OS X information is obtained from system_profiler plus other utilities. Most of the relevant code in PTS is within pts-core/objects/phodevi. Any patches to improve the support are welcome.

Not all non-critical code paths are implemented on all platforms, like reading the CPU cache size, but again any patches are welcome for improvements.

If you grep the code for 'system notes' (or look up how Firefox/browsers are reported as an example), there is an extra field in the XML where these system notes can be done. If you need more help let me know.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
    X