Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Common System Device Hot-Plug Framework For Linux

Phoronix: A Common System Device Hot-Plug Framework For Linux

An experimental system device hot-plug framework for the Linux kernel is still being developed. This framework is meant to be commomon for system device hot-plugging for system devices like CPU and RAM while being platform-neutral...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I can take my CPU out while the computer is running? Sounds like fun

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      So I can take my CPU out while the computer is running? Sounds like fun
      I think as long as you have as least one plugged in (dual or quad socket machine)

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
        I think as long as you have as least one plugged in (dual or quad socket machine)
        ROFL......

Comment

Would like it to be able to do USB, PCI and other things of course.
          One framework to hotplug them all.

Comment

And in the kernel bind them.

...sorry I'll stop now

Comment

How do hotpluggable CPUs even look like? And why would you need to hotplug them in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                How do hotpluggable CPUs even look like? And why would you need to hotplug them in the first place?
                I think they are common CPU's, but that the mobo supports it through ACPI as mentioned in the thread. You want to replace them if they are broken right? Especially if you don't want to bear any downtime at all.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Usually there are 1 or more CPUs fitted on a special PCB board, and it's that board that you plug in or out when you need to replace them or when you need more/less CPU power for a server. The latter might also be useful for virtual machines BTW.

Comment

Working...
                  X