Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux 5.9 Is Out, Carries Unbreakable Kernel 2

Phoronix: Oracle Linux 5.9 Is Out, Carries Unbreakable Kernel 2

Version 5.9 of Oracle Linux, the company's incarnation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9, is now available. This release also ships with Oracle's Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Red Hat

Oracle Linux is just a spin of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with some minor fixes.

Rather go with RHEL, because Red Hat contributes to Linux way more than those leechers Oracle do.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Rather go with RHEL, because Red Hat contributes to Linux way more than those leechers Oracle do.
      Can't we say the same of Ubuntu and Debian? Sabayon and Gentoo?

Furthermore, I don't see how Oracle would in any way inhibit Linux progress in general by doing this.

Comment

And there I was hoping that no one would reply to this thread. Because nothing spells out "no one gives a f*ck" more than no one bothering to comment on it.

Now you've ruined that ;-)

Comment

ORACLE = One Rich Asshole Called Larry Ellison

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          Can't we say the same of Ubuntu and Debian? Sabayon and Gentoo?
          Ubuntu is not just a s/Debian/Ubuntu/g spin of Debian.
          It brings many changes.

Also Sabayon is non-profit and Gentoo is non-profit, so they just wanna work it because they have different ideas and vision.
          Whole Oracle just wants to rip off RHEL because they want to grab some easy money and are too lazy to make anything themselves.

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          Furthermore, I don't see how Oracle would in any way inhibit Linux progress in general by doing this.
          Money that goes to Red Hat goes to improving Linux.
          Money that does go to Oracle does not go to Red Hat.
          Money that does not go to Red Hat is not likely to go into improving Linux.

Comment

Announcement does not coincide with media availability

I use it, but it's more for the comparison of the propretary legacy fglrx with the open source version. I could use CentOS, but I'd rather just increase Oracle's bandwidth. Either way, it's for fun so I wouldn't be interested in support anyway. The glibc version is quite old; I still haven't figured out how to install multiple versions.

Anyways, Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 9 media isn't available; the delay seems to be 6 days (at least that's what it was for 5.8).

Comment

Oracle Linux has DTrace, which is something that other Linux distributions currently lack. Unfortunately, Oracle's DTrace port is specific to their kernel. For instance, It is not something that could be easily integrated into the range of kernels supported by Gentoo.

Comment

Working...
              X