Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Open-Source Radeon Driver Features

Phoronix: The State Of Open-Source Radeon Driver Features

As a result of a discussion about when the AMD open-source drivers will be feature complete, AMD's John Bridgman summarized the state of some Radeon driver features like UVD video decoding, Hyper-Z, Hybrid Graphics, OpenCL, and other AMD Radeon GPU functionality on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Geez, hope I remembered correctly
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Geez, hope I remembered correctly
      Anything new on PM?

Comment

Interesting list. I'm going to build an HTPC (or should I say, a Myth TV? ) shortly, using my HD4890 as the GPU in it. Right now it seems to have no problems with H.264 1080p videos over xv, using r600g, not using VDPAU nor VA-API.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Interesting list. I'm going to build an HTPC (or should I say, a Myth TV? ) shortly, using my HD4890 as the GPU in it. Right now it seems to have no problems with H.264 1080p videos over xv, using r600g, not using VDPAU nor VA-API.
          Its goes like this:

Provided opensource driver supports crossfire in your dualGPU...

Comment

It'll only work with one of the two gpu chips and half the RAM. But it should work. Make sure you have a pretty good cpu.

Also before you set your heart on mythtv may I suggest you try out xbmc? I think it is a much better interface, though mythtv does have some really cool features that xbmc doesnt.

Comment

I thought 4890 was a single GPU with modified power & filtering to reach higher clocks... in the HD4xxx timeframe believe we used X2 for dual GPU.

BTW the main highway heading towards work from Bowmanville starts with a long, relatively steep uphill stretch (maybe a mile long), and some vehicles struggle to maintain road speed going up it. A few years ago I was heading up that hill at ~ 140 KPH and a Smart Car blew past me with an awesome howl coming from the exhaust. I'm guessing it wasn't stock. Apparently the big thing around here is to drop Subaru WRX engines into Smart Cars.

Oh... and for today's Word Of The Day, let's go with "Volvette". It's not a female Volvo, in case that's what you were thinking.

Here's an example : http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11...s-here-to.html

I prefer more practical mods though : http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11...d-tractor.html
              Last edited by bridgman; 16 January 2013, 04:50 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                It'll only work with one of the two gpu chips and half the RAM. But it should work. Make sure you have a pretty good cpu.

Also before you set your heart on mythtv may I suggest you try out xbmc? I think it is a much better interface, though mythtv does have some really cool features that xbmc doesnt.
                As Bridgman pointed out, it's a simple single-GPU card, just that it was high-end at the time it was released. I'm using it on my main PC right now, but since AMD dropped support for it in Catalyst and since I need an upgrade to run Unreal Engine 4 games in the future anyway, I'll have no other use for it than in the HTPC.

See, you can use XBMC together with MythTV since XBMC 12 RC1. It's pretty nifty that way. So I'll set up MythTV first, then integrate that into XBMC, and it will be very nice. Though the reason why I said it would be a Myth TV is due to the fact that MythTV was named as such because the original developer wanted to have a "mythical convergence box" that would allow both viewing TV and browsing the internet. In my case, the HTPC will be a TV player, TV recorder, media player, Gentoo-boosting computing server (via distcc), video co-processing server, network attached storage device, wireless access point and perhaps at some point also a web server. All in all fits the description of a "mythical convergence box" pretty well

Comment

As Bridgman pointed out, it's a simple single-GPU card, just that it was high-end at the time it was released. I'm using it on my main PC right now, but since AMD dropped support for it in Catalyst and since I need an upgrade to run Unreal Engine 4 games in the future anyway, I'll have no other use for it than in the HTPC.

See, you can use XBMC together with MythTV since XBMC 12 RC1. It's pretty nifty that way. So I'll set up MythTV first, then integrate that into XBMC, and it will be very nice. Though the reason why I said it would be a Myth TV is due to the fact that MythTV was named as such because the original developer wanted to have a "mythical convergence box" that would allow both viewing TV and browsing the internet. In my case, the HTPC will be a TV player, TV recorder, media player, Gentoo-boosting computing server (via distcc), video co-processing server, network attached storage device, wireless access point and perhaps at some point also a web server. All in all fits the description of a "mythical convergence box" pretty well
                  oooh...

My bad.. I had simply equated xx90 naming convention with dual gpu cards. I didnt realize that it differed between generations.

I wonder what you'll do if your mythical convergence box gets hit by a lightning surge or something terrible... With all that responsibility you should be sure to back it up like it was a religion, otherwise you'll have alot of work to do. Shit happens, and the more you rely on something the more likely shit will happen to it.For my little odds and ends I have a few stackable mini-itx systems setup. It just keeps workloads seperated.
                  Last edited by duby229; 16 January 2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

So I'll set up MythTV first, then integrate that into XBMC, and it will be very nice. Though the reason why I said it would be a Myth TV is due to the fact that MythTV was named as such because the original developer wanted to have a "mythical convergence box" that would allow both viewing TV and browsing the internet. In my case, the HTPC will be a TV player, TV recorder, media player, Gentoo-boosting computing server (via distcc), video co-processing server, network attached storage device, wireless access point and perhaps at some point also a web server. All in all fits the description of a "mythical convergence box" pretty well
                    If mythTV will be only used as a TV backend, may I suggest you look at tvheadend? I've been using it for the past year, and I simply love it. Extremely simple to set up, and (at least in my case) just works. As a bonus you get to stream TV via an m3u stream to anything that has a web browser and a video player. I tried mythTV, after a couple of hours I gave up, completely unusable for me.
                    Tvheadend for managing tv tuners, for the rest, there is xbmc.

r600g improvements : Awesome! Thanks to all involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X