Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Valve, Another Game Comes To Linux

Phoronix: Thanks Valve, Another Game Comes To Linux

A new game is coming to Linux via Valve's Steam client as the result of Steam Greenlight and interest in the Linux platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It feels like every other day there's a new game coming to Steam on Linux. It sounds like Valve are building up quite a library for the official release date.

Comment

I hope that Duke Nukem Forever is ported to Linux. It is a crappy game, I know, but I am nostalgic...

Comment

Reminds me a bit of Planetary Annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
          I hope that Duke Nukem Forever is ported to Linux. It is a crappy game, I know, but I am nostalgic...
          Is it a crappy game? I had a blast with the whole experience.

Comment

I hope it will be available DRM free without Steam as well?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Reminds me a bit of Planetary Annihilation.
              I find it similar with black and white.
              Great graphics though!

Comment

Valve has made the difference for Linux support. It's a good thing afterall that Microsoft had pissed Gabe off.

The next thing Linux needs for gaining more support is more component standarization and more backwards compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I hope it will be available DRM free without Steam as well?
                  That's not really related to steam, if a game dev does not opt for drm/required online you can usually start the game from the installation dir without opening steam.
                  Last edited by BeeJee; 16 January 2013, 04:01 PM. Reason: speling

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJee View Post
                    That's not really related to steam, if a game dev does not opt for drm/required online you can usually start the game from the installation dir without opening steam.
                    Precisely.

Steam for the most part really is just the distributor in that sense. It's up to the dev to make use of any of the DRM present. You can very easily ship a DRM-free game through Steam. Gotta love Valve.

Comment

Working...
                    X