Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Officially Released

Phoronix: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Officially Released

After a series of unfortunate delays, Fedora 18 was officially released this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Torrents are here:

Comment

Anyone else notice that the live images are around 900M? I thought they were supposed to fit on a CD.

Comment

I am still not completely sold on the interface changes to Anaconda (not that I am that upset by them either) but the more I read about FedUp the more I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
          Anyone else notice that the live images are around 900M? I thought they were supposed to fit on a CD.
          As of the release, the target is USB keys instead. Should be lower than 1 GB. The desktop live image contains LibreOffice by default as well full L10N support as in the previous releases.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            As of the release, the target is USB keys instead. Should be lower than 1 GB. The desktop live image contains LibreOffice by default as well full L10N support as in the previous releases.
            yeah, really doesn't make much sense to target cd's anymore. Pretty much any modern computer can boot from usb, and usb drives are dirt cheap and re-usable (and also much faster)

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              yeah, really doesn't make much sense to target cd's anymore. Pretty much any modern computer can boot from usb, and usb drives are dirt cheap and re-usable (and also much faster)
              More importantly - the number of machines that can boot CD but not USB is negligible, while the number that can boot USB but don't have an optical drive is growing.

Comment

Looking forward to updating my work machine but I'll give it a few days at least. As for my home machine, you'll have to prise Gentoo from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  More importantly - the number of machines that can boot CD but not USB is negligible, while the number that can boot USB but don't have an optical drive is growing.
                  But what about those of us NOT on fedora already?
                  It's easy to make a bootable USB of fedora while on... fedora.
                  But what if I'm ubuntu, arch, mac, windows? Unetbootin has NEVER worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
                    But what about those of us NOT on fedora already?
                    It's easy to make a bootable USB of fedora while on... fedora.
                    But what if I'm ubuntu, arch, mac, windows? Unetbootin has NEVER worked for me.
                    This typically works for me on Windows:

Comment

Working...
                    X