Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Officially Released

Default Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Officially Released

Phoronix: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Officially Released

After a series of unfortunate delays, Fedora 18 was officially released this morning...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3NDk

Anyone else notice that the live images are around 900M? I thought they were supposed to fit on a CD.

I am still not completely sold on the interface changes to Anaconda (not that I am that upset by them either) but the more I read about FedUp the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    Anyone else notice that the live images are around 900M? I thought they were supposed to fit on a CD.
    As of the release, the target is USB keys instead. Should be lower than 1 GB. The desktop live image contains LibreOffice by default as well full L10N support as in the previous releases.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    As of the release, the target is USB keys instead. Should be lower than 1 GB. The desktop live image contains LibreOffice by default as well full L10N support as in the previous releases.
    yeah, really doesn't make much sense to target cd's anymore. Pretty much any modern computer can boot from usb, and usb drives are dirt cheap and re-usable (and also much faster)

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    yeah, really doesn't make much sense to target cd's anymore. Pretty much any modern computer can boot from usb, and usb drives are dirt cheap and re-usable (and also much faster)
    More importantly - the number of machines that can boot CD but not USB is negligible, while the number that can boot USB but don't have an optical drive is growing.

Looking forward to updating my work machine but I'll give it a few days at least. As for my home machine, you'll have to prise Gentoo from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    More importantly - the number of machines that can boot CD but not USB is negligible, while the number that can boot USB but don't have an optical drive is growing.
    But what about those of us NOT on fedora already?
    It's easy to make a bootable USB of fedora while on... fedora.
    But what if I'm ubuntu, arch, mac, windows? Unetbootin has NEVER worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tancrackers View Post
    But what about those of us NOT on fedora already?
    It's easy to make a bootable USB of fedora while on... fedora.
    But what if I'm ubuntu, arch, mac, windows? Unetbootin has NEVER worked for me.
    This typically works for me on Windows:
    http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download