Oceania: A New MMORPG Powered By Unigine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought

May I say something?. What we need on Linux are exclusive games not available for Windows. Something GOOD to make people say "Gosh, I want to play that but it requires me to switch to Linux." Most will say It will limit the audience but you have to understand, the more native and exclusive things that appear, the more people that will come and the less 'limited' your consumers will be. It would happen slowly, but surely and it's not to late to start. We need something like a Humble Linux Bundle and a distro Like Xubuntu (I use it) with apps that are familiar clones installed by default.

Default apps like Kolour paint, Sylpheed, BleachBit, gThumb, VLC, Kopete, FFMpeg, Gimp, Skype etc. Those are clones, except Skype of course, that should be included as default for any distro, simply because they are so familiar and make people very comfortable I have found. Most of the distros I have tried include unfamiliar software. For Xubuntu I do remove the dock and put the top bar on bottom, I also make a custom Quick Launch. Basically if you used my system as it is now, and you were a Windows user, you would feel extremely comfortable. By their self, a new user would be overwhelmed and most do in fact go back to dirty Windows, or (ewww) dual boot.

This is not silliness either, I used Windows exclusively since '98 until last year. I know what I'm talking about. Also, the old hats have to let the whole "free software only" idea go away, there is plenty of room for paid software and the 'Software Center' proves that. Using my ideas, I have helped several local people switch and they enjoyed it, so obviously I'm thinking clearly. Back on topic, if the rumors are true, I hope Blizzard would finally release their Linux WoW client, that would satisfy the MMO need on Linux and probably bring in more companies. As far as Wine and WoW, It's not really an option In my opinion; a default install requires some tweaks that a new user wouldn't want to do. There isn't really a lot of info on this game yet, like actual game play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      May I say something?. What we need on Linux are exclusive games not available for Windows. Something GOOD to make people say "Gosh, I want to play that but it requires me to switch to Linux." Most will say It will limit the audience but you have to understand, the more native and exclusive things that appear, the more people that will come and the less 'limited' your consumers will be.
      All we'd need is for the game to be released on Linux first, and on Windows a month or so later. But nobody wants to risk even that.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      Also, the old hats have to let the whole "free software only" idea go away, there is plenty of room for paid software and the 'Software Center' proves that.
      We don't object to proprietary games, as long as there are sufficient alternatives for choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
        No dwarfs?! Really? Why are they making FANTASY game only with boring humans, gay elfs and super-ultra-gay-for-stupid-teens-made vampires?! I'm sooo looking forward to WoW on Linux and I hope that they will crush these fools.
        I won't call WoW a good MMORPG. It's mostly mindless grind fest and hack-n-slash. Good roleplaying environments should also encourage players to learn what Mary Sue syndrome means, but WoW doesn't seem to do it.

writing, creative writing, roleplaying, roleplay, fiction, fantasy, science fiction, speculative fiction, literature, scriptwriting, characters, characterization, mary sue litmus test, mary sue test, marty stu, gary stu
        Last edited by shmerl; 15 January 2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett
          Skype of course, that should be included as default for any distro, simply because they are so familiar and make people very comfortable I have found.
          This is impossible -- Skype is proprietary and not redistributable. FOSS kicks in already...

Originally posted by Mike Frett
          Also, the old hats have to let the whole "free software only" idea go away
          Do you even know what "free software" means? Software freedom and is more important than you may think. Just because it is not important to you does not mean it is not important for everybody. Also, free as in price is good.

BTW: high five for Xubuntu!
          Last edited by Calinou; 15 January 2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Skype is also bad since it proliferates closed walled IM networks instead of federated XMPP. It's not just because it's proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Is it going to be subscription only, free with paid premium features, completely free or something else?
              I was wondering the same thing, so posted a question to them on Kickstarter. Will let you know when I get the answer

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Depends on your outlook. The vast majority of Kickstarter games that I have seen use Unity, just because it has good cross-platform support, and that's important for independent developers.
                You're confusing Unity for Unigine. They are not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                  No dwarfs?! Really? Why are they making FANTASY game only with boring humans, gay elfs and super-ultra-gay-for-stupid-teens-made vampires?! I'm sooo looking forward to WoW on Linux and I hope that they will crush these fools.
                  Made for teens? Wow was Everquest made for kids for crying out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahrizai View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing, so posted a question to them on Kickstarter. Will let you know when I get the answer
                    Thanks, let's see what they say.

Comment

As a question to Mike Frett, what is it about Linux that makes you want people to use it? For many it is because of the ideals of free software that we want it to succeed, while for others it is because they prefer the Linux way of doing things. You are saying we should be making Linux more like Windows, but why would it be needed then? We have a fully functional Windows like system already, it is called Windows, and since you do not particularly care about free software I am left confused as to why you wish to promote the system in the first place. What about it do you draw value from?

Comment

Working...
                      X