Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: GCW Zero: Another Linux Game Console Attempt

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,994

    Default

    I was shocked to see Liero in the page's screenshots. So many memories.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I was shocked to see Liero in the page's screenshots. So many memories.
    Yes, we are using a fork of OpenLiero: https://github.com/gcwnow/liero
    In the future we'd like to port LieroLibre (does not require the dos EXE OpenLiero uses and fixes some sfx legalities), but we will need to solve some library dependencies first. With LieroLibre, we could preinstall the game on the system image.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    I have some questions for the devs...

    Will be there a FULLY black version ? NONE of the sown pics or in video versions is fully black....the "rim" is white...

    Will the buildin software include GCC,etc. dev tools or have we to use a desktop to do any compiling ?

    Will it be included in the software .... M.A.M.E. ?
    ....with full support for all ROM supported by M.A.M.E. ?


    TIA,
    AJSB

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Strange, I'd bet back in those days VGA referred to 320x240, wheres SVGA referred to 640x480.
    VGA was 320x200 (aka 13h, aka ModeY), 320x240 is so-called ModeX, its a hack and never seen a game using it.
    VGA was capable of 640x480 although only @ 16 colors and extremely slow.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    I have some questions for the devs...
    Will be there a FULLY black version ? NONE of the sown pics or in video versions is fully black....the "rim" is white...
    Only the two color versions presented in the KS video are currently available.

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Will the buildin software include GCC,etc. dev tools or have we to use a desktop to do any compiling ?
    So you are asking whether it will be possible to compile natively on the device instead of resorting to cross-compilation from x86 Linux?
    We have not thought of it. The device has no keyboard, so coding on it is a bit pointless. On the other hand, you could always plug it into the tv and connect a keyboard via usb-otg. Or you could just log into the device via SSH/Telnet and try to invoke the compiler. So perhaps this isn't such a stupid idea. We will think of it

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Will it be included in the software .... M.A.M.E. ?
    ....with full support for all ROM supported by M.A.M.E. ?
    The preinstalled software is limited only to fully libre software (both in code and data files), at the moment this includes: Worship Vector, Puzzletube, SameGoo, Freedoom, Heroes and Blockrage; and software we got full author permission to include: Sqrxz 3, Dink Smallwood.

    The topic of emulation was left to the 3rd party developers and homebrew hackers. Our project originates from one of such communities and we have already a lot of people porting emulators to GCW Zero (check the youtube videos), however I can not tell you how well will one of your emulated platforms be supported because this is not what I am responsible for.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    VGA was 320x200 (aka 13h, aka ModeY), 320x240 is so-called ModeX, its a hack and never seen a game using it.
    VGA was capable of 640x480 although only @ 16 colors and extremely slow.
    Thank you crazycheese and Bridgman.

    I'm a bit confused now but it seems I was wrong somehow.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    france
    Posts
    55

    Unhappy

    why MIPS ....
    not compatible with arm :/

    screen resolution is really bad, psp 9year ago was 480*272 ! (and 4.3")


    but it's a great idea to release an "open source Game console" !
    Last edited by mum1989; 01-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zear View Post
    Hello. I'm a developer involved in the GCW Zero project and I have a prototype unit.
    First, thanks for the coverage. It means a lot to us that we are mentioned in Linux related news services. If anybody has any questions about this handheld, I'll be happy to answer them.
    I have the same question that most other people here have - why limit resolution to 320x240? 640x480 or 800x600 would be much better. Also, is there any USB port or bluetooth, so a keyboard, mouse or joystick might be used with the device? 256 MB RAM is also quite limiting, atleast 512 MB would be better.

    Regarding the software, how many of the drivers are open source? Are you planning to use the recently announced etnaviv open source driver, or a proprietary driver for the Vivante GPU?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    france
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I have the same question that most other people here have - why limit resolution to 320x240? 640x480 or 800x600 would be much better. Also, is there any USB port or bluetooth, so a keyboard, mouse or joystick might be used with the device? 256 MB RAM is also quite limiting, atleast 512 MB would be better.

    Regarding the software, how many of the drivers are open source? Are you planning to use the recently announced etnaviv open source driver, or a proprietary driver for the Vivante GPU?
    Some anwers on thier website :
    Why did you choose a 3.5″ LCD over 5″ LCD any why a resolution of 320x240?

    A bigger screen on the GCW Zero = less battery life / more work on the
    CPU / less fps in emulation / blurry, rescaled graphics and a higher
    manufacturing cost...

    The reason behind choosing a 320x240 display isn't just monetary. Of
    course, a larger display would have raised the final price of the
    device, but it also has many other cons for a device aimed at retro
    gaming. First of all, a higher resolution is not needed because most
    retro games we support run at 320x240 at most. A larger screen would
    require everything to be rescaled, so the CPU would have an extra load
    of work and this would result in worse gaming performance and less
    battery life.
    Why did you choose mini-USB over micro-USB?

    Mini-USB allows you to plug extra peripherals much better than
    micro-USB. With micro-USB, we were afraid that the port would not
    survive a heavy weight attached to it.

    GCW Zero was designed so you can attach extra peripherals such as game
    controllers or keyboard/mouse combo of your choice and use them
    together with HDMI/analog video out.

    Here is an example in this link with a USB Bluetooth dongle:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...CommOrClosSour

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Regarding the software, how many of the drivers are open source? Are you planning to use the recently announced etnaviv open source driver, or a proprietary driver for the Vivante GPU?
    Is also answered:
    Another thing that we are still working on is the OpenGL driver. Unfortunately, we will not be able to release this as open source. People who only want a fully open source system can simply leave out the OpenGL driver though; the 2D graphics system (Linux framebuffer) works fine without it.

    The Wi-Fi module itself uses binary firmware, but the driver that runs on the MIPS CPU is open source. Every other driver we are using is fully open source and that source will be published on github as soon as the first unitís ship.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •