No announcement yet.

GCW Zero: Another Linux Game Console Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This really is a super dingoo, the original having an ingenics mips processor, 320x240 2d only. IMHO the system still should have doubled the screen resolution and used a larger lcd. Some PC games from the 90s that have SDL ports don't run well at 320x240. This includes games like (but not limited to) lgeneral and jagged alliance 2 which run just fine on mobile cpus and could be adapted to console controls.

Comment

Originally posted by zear View Post
      The GPU is part of the jz4770 SoC we are using. We had a 256 -> 512MB RAM upgrade mainly because that was largely requested by people ever since our KS project starter. Personally I think 256MB RAM is enough, but I guess it's the today world where bigger numbers == more sales.

This is solely a personal preference, so I won't comment on that.

based on my experience with the rpi and allwinner a10 the gpu needs to be hard assigned some substantial dedicated memory region which can take potentially 128MB ram or so. I'm not sure how the vivante handles this. Also I'm running full 19x12 x on the a10 so losing that much ram hurts a bit.

Comment

A nice list at which users the device might be aiming (by Bryan http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dheld/comments ):
        For those concerned about running classic games on a 320x240 screen, let me shine some light on what the hardware on those original classics ran at.

Examples:
        - Snes/Genesis = 256?224 (Genesis native, SNES Progressive)
        - NES/Master System = 256x224.
        - Gameboy = 160?144
        - GBA = 240?160
        - Neo Geo Pocket = 256?256
        - MSX = 256?192
        - ZX Spectrum = 256?192
        - ColecoVision = 256?192
        - Atari 2600 = 192x160
        - DOS games = mostly ran at 320x200

Basically anything made earlier than the SNES is running lower than 320x240.

- N64 and PSX had games that can run at 640x480, but a lot of them ran at 320x240 (NTSC standard).

But really, it's not that big of deal for those two systems since downs-scaling 3D graphics is much easier to make look better than 2D.

- Sega Saturn can output a display resolution of 320?224, but it's similar to the PSX, where some games were programmed to display at this res, and some were higher.

Arcade games:
        - CPS2 and CPS3 (games like Third Strike, Alien Vs. Predator, Super Street Fighter II, Marvel vs. Capcom) ran at 384 x 224, so there will be some scaling there.
        - CPS1 (games like Street fighter II:Champion Edition, Ghosts and Goblins, 1942, Black Tiger, etc...) is at 320x224, so there will be a tiny bit of up-scaling there, but that is of course if you plan on full-screen stretching. Otherwise, you'd get borders, which IMO is completely acceptable for proper displaying.
        - Neo Geo (MVS): 320?224
        - Sega STV (games like Cotton, Radiant Silvergun, Die Hard arcade): 320x224 just like NEO GEO
        - Sega System 32 (games like Golden Axe 1, Dynamite Dux, Shinobi) = again, 320 x 224
        - Sega System 32 (games like Golden Axe:The Revenge of Death Adder...which isn't even properly emulated on PC!) : Same as above
        - And so forth...

Most Arcade games made before the late-90's will be at 320x224 or lower.

Comment

The thing is, scaling is better done when you have a much bigger resolution than the original console.

If you have a screen that has 1.5x the resolution, it's not gonna work out great, because you can't paint 0.5 pixels. You can interpolate, or do something else, but having a better resolution would definitely result in clearer graphics. But it would also increase the hw requirements and price.

Comment

What's projected cost of this console at this time?

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
              What's projected cost of this console at this time?
              The device already exists. There was a small batch made for early adopters. The kickstarter exists in order to make full production runs possible so that more than just 150 people can get one.
              I paid $120 USD for mine. The kickstarter has a $130 contribution level that gets you the device and some other goodies.

Comment

That thing sounded great until I hit the display specs.

Comment

Originally posted by zear View Post
                  Hi! I would like to thank you for your fast, friendly & sincere replies and for driving the project the way it is!
                  Regardless of hardware choices you did.

I hope someday you will look at possibility to create likewise unique completely opensource desktop box.
                  GL!

Comment

Working...
                  X