X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu phone, sailfish OS and plasma active in discussion to share API's

From http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...-active-103978

--
    Zolt?n Balogh, developer at Canonical, confirmed in an open email on Wednesday that the discussion about APIs was underway, and invited anyone interested in QML to participate. ?Clearly a productive collaboration between communities and companies would be something revolutionary,? he wrote.

The proposed cooperation attempts to not only simplify UI development, but establish long-term links between Canonical, Jolla and KDE staff. ?There are also discussions underway regarding other aspects of the bigger puzzle such as common package formats and delivery strategies,? wrote Aaron Seigo from KDE on his blog.

?We are poised, should we keep our heads straight and our feet moving, to evolve that holiest of grails in the mobile space: an open and vendor neutral application development strategy built around the commonality of QtQuick and Linux,? he added.
    --

Sailfish devices will probably be the first real GNU/Linux phones!

QML2 and qtquick are great technologies for creating applications. Qt5 has great performance and a wide range of features.

How this all holds up with Ubuntu's plans with GTK i don't know. All i know is that GTK could/should be deprecated and let Qt5 replace it.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 17 January 2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Hopefully this means only mobile, I don't want any of that unity crap to spoil kde desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        How this all holds up with Ubuntu's plans with GTK i don't know. All i know is that GTK could/should be deprecated and let Qt5 replace it.
        No it shouldn't. Qt is fine for mobile, just keep it there and let desktops use GTK.

Comment

Just tweeted
          "http://sailfishos.org now open with SDK alpha release."

It only works with linux right now.

Comment

Just played with the sailfish SDK. The emulator is a virtualbox. It was kind of fun playing with the sailfish OS but I have no idea what I am doing.
            Here is some interesting info from their new website at https://sailfishos.org//about-technology.html

"Android runtime

Sailfish OS includes the capability to run Android? applications through a third party solution. It is based on open source Android libraries, ensuring performance comparable to the native environment.

When Qt5 and Wayland technology are introduced to Sailfish OS, existing hardware adaptations made for Android can be leveraged, significantly easing the hardware adaptation work required to support the Sailfish OS.
            HTML5

Web development tools like HTML, JavaScript and CSS can be used to utilize HTML5 on the Sailfish OS. We are investigating Cordova Qt and compatibility with Firefox OS APIs for this purpose.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc."

Comment

Working...
            X