Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Duo Of Peculiar Games Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: A Duo Of Peculiar Games Being Ported To Linux

Replay Games has written into Phoronix to talk about two commercial game titles that they will be bringing to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Duo Of Peculiar Games Being Ported To Linux

Replay Games has written into Phoronix to talk about two commercial game titles that they will be bringing to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3MzI
    OMG, I remember playing the original Larry on a CGA display on some local library's XT back in 1987!

I didn't understand what the hell it was about, I was too young lol

The other game looks like Zack McCracken, awesome!

Comment

Source code

How about they release the source code?
      No, that's what I thought.

They want free money from the community but they don't want to share the source code with the community, they want to hoard on it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        They want free money from the community but they don't want to share the source code with the community, they want to hoard on it themselves.
        It's not free money, it's pre-ordering the game(s).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          How about they release the source code?
          No, that's what I thought.

Seriously? Never used a closed-source application? Ever? Or you only hate closed-source Linux applications because they are corrupting the one true free OS?

I hate this and I'm disgusted by all of you zealots hating on everyone who just happen to have a different (read: pragmatic) world view than you.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
            Seriously? Never used a closed-source application? Ever? Or you only hate closed-source Linux applications because they are corrupting the one true free OS?

I hate this and I'm disgusted by all of you zealots hating on everyone who just happen to have a different (read: pragmatic) world view than you.
            He's obviously a troll, no need to get so heated up.

Comment

It's only a couple of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                He's obviously a troll, no need to get so heated up.
                You are probably right, but there are people just like him who really, truly believe in these things.

Comment

You are probably right, but there are people just like him who really, truly believe in these things.
                  Nah, I don't think so.

The "OMG zealots kidnapping your children" FUD mostly comes from people who misunderstand FLOSS activists and what they are saying.

Most of us zealots want essential elements of computing to be available to everyone, including source code: infrastructure, operating system, standard tools everybody relies on, as well as anything that you have to use. In addition, most of us zealots are already happy if we have ONE FLOSS option for each of those, which is fully featured and can freely exchange documents with closed source applications: give me Firefox, KMail and LibreOffice, and you can keep Opera, Eudora and MS Office -- as long as we can all exchange documents without anyone being locked in.

In that respect, an optional game, that nobody really NEEDS, is a very different thing from an essential driver, or a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    It's not free money, it's pre-ordering the game(s).
                    No, it's not like pre-ordering a game some weeks before release.

These people does not have any game.
                    Who knows, maybe there wont be any game?
                    Maybe the "developers" take the money and take a vacation to Jamaica to pay for blackjack and hookers?
                    Maybe they get bored and stop develop it.
                    Maybe they have some internal disagreement and the team dissolves.
                    Maybe one or more developers get hit by a bus?
                    Maybe one team member steals all the funds for himself or his gambling addiction?

Maybe the estimated costs are wrong. 10% of the things tend to take up 90% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X