Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Hardware-Backported LTS Gets Delayed

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Hardware-Backported LTS Gets Delayed

Ubuntu 12.04.2, the first Long-Term Support point release of Ubuntu Linux where new hardware support is back-ported to the LTS release, has been delayed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The Canonical QA department has decided for now to delay this next point release by two weeks to allow for additional testing and verification to happen."

Sounds good to me!

Comment

Agreed! Especially important for an LTS.

Comment

since when did ubuntu do hardware backporting, i'm curious? I think hardware backporting is extremely important to not look like idiots next to windows. it hurts to say that centos 6.3 or debian sqeeze are basically useless unless you are running it on non-modern hardware. in enterprise that's a big no-no. before anymore point out, yes, i'm sure I can compile custom kernel modules and hack support for modern intel chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          since when did ubuntu do hardware backporting, i'm curious? I think hardware backporting is extremely important to not look like idiots next to windows. it hurts to say that centos 6.3 or debian sqeeze are basically useless unless you are running it on non-modern hardware. in enterprise that's a big no-no. before anymore point out, yes, i'm sure I can compile custom kernel modules and hack support for modern intel chipsets.
          CentOS didn't have any trouble with my Lenovo T520 (and the mSATA SSD I came to add) and has been stable like a rock, other then Nvidia Optimus, only Optimus model had a eSATA port I needed, so was kind of force to take it, even if useless.

But will admit Thinkpad get certified for Red Hat.

--------------------
          Has for hardware back porting, I guess Valve might have something to do with it, since they use the LTS version for development.

Comment

I Hope the zfs-grub Packages will Continue to work...

Comment

Well, it seems to be new, but I'd say it's a good thing.

Comment

since when did ubuntu do hardware backporting, i'm curious?
                Ubuntu has been doing hardware driver backporting for quite some time, but only for drivers where that was reasonably easy and risk-free, like drivers for WiFi, webcams, wired network cards, hypervisors, etc.

The problem with backports for graphics drivers and some other things is that they sometimes/often also require a new kernel version, a new Xorg, etc., which makes things a lot more risky, and thus it requires more work and more testing.

Comment

Working...
                X