Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowshoe: New Cross-Platform Web-Browser On Qt5, WebKit2

Phoronix: Showshoe: New Cross-Platform Web-Browser On Qt5, WebKit2

Snowshoe is a new open-source project that's a cross-platform web-browser built atop the Qt5 tool-kit and relies upon WebKit2 for its rendering engine. However, its multiple user-interfaces is what distinguishes Snowshoe from many of the other open-source web-browsers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btw.: Google Chrome will soon switch to using "Aura" as a base for all elements, drawing etc. on all platforms. Aura has been introduced in Chrome OS in early 2012 or so.

Comment

Great

Great, but most of my applications are GTK not Qt.

Also, I already have Firefox and Chromium on my desktop, my phone, and my tablet.

This new browser, does it have extensions?
      No, that's what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Great, but most of my applications are GTK not Qt.

Also, I already have Firefox and Chromium on my desktop, my phone, and my tablet.

This new browser, does it have extensions?
        No, that's what I thought.
        Qt is taking center stage and gtk is falling into obscurity, mainly because C++11 is such a strong language to build off of compared to C99, and Gnome has just been digging itself a hole for a while now. While the browser itself is unimportant, a lot of development is trending towards qt5, especially since once it supports the iphone it is platform agnostic.

Firefox is going to have to get a qt port to run on the Ubuntu Phone anyway, as are a lot of traditionally gtk applications. The good news is that porting between the two isn't usually that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Firefox is going to have to get a qt port to run on the Ubuntu Phone anyway, as are a lot of traditionally gtk applications. The good news is that porting between the two isn't usually that hard.
          Firefox is getting ported from GTK 2 to GTK 3.

Ubuntu Phone, is that a joke?
          There is no device in the world shipping with Ubuntu Phone, and I don't think there ever will be either.
          It will be like Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu on Android, nothing ever happened to em.

Comment

lol, why don't you check out Firefox and Chromium source and look at how much platform specific code there is. Now do the same for Showshoe and see if you understand why a single Qt application running on almost any platform is different than Chromium running on Android, Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, etc.

Comment

Michael, the article title has a typo
              Showshoe

Comment

Firefox is getting ported from GTK 2 to GTK 3.
                Firefox is not a GTK app. It only interfaces with GTK for painting the widgets, and that only on Linux. Internally it does not use GTK for anything. There was a Qt version of Firefox before, it's not hard to do.
                Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 11 January 2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
                  lol, why don't you check out Firefox and Chromium source and look at how much platform specific code there is. Now do the same for Showshoe and see if you understand why a single Qt application running on almost any platform is different than Chromium running on Android, Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, etc.
                  Okay, so Showshoe is great for the developers who develop it, because it makes it quicker to code, less code, easier to maintain.

But why should users be interested in it?
                  I don't develop Chrome or Firefox, so I don't care about any of that stuff.

Comment

Okay, so Showshoe is great for the developers who develop it, because it makes it quicker to code, less code, easier to maintain.

But why should users be interested in it?
                    I don't develop Chrome or Firefox, so I don't care about any of that stuff.
                    They have a link on installing it on the N9 so users of that device should be happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X