Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five-Way NVIDIA GeForce Comparison On Nouveau

Phoronix: Five-Way NVIDIA GeForce Comparison On Nouveau

With the GeForce 600 "Kepler" graphics cards now working on Nouveau in an out-of-the-box manner with OpenGL acceleration, here's a brief five-way NVIDIA GeForce graphics card comparison when using the Nouveau open-source driver with the Linux 3.8 kernel and Mesa 9.1-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have you ever done a test with the GTX 580? I'm trying to find benchmarks on OpenBenchmarking.org. Either I don't know how to use the site or none have ever been done.

Comment

Where are the Team Fortress 2 benchmarks?

TF2 is one of the few games that should be particularly interesting at times like these.

Comment

It should be noted that clockspeeds as low as 50MHz do not occur on all Fermi cards. Many 4xx and 5xx models have a newer revision that has more decent clockspeeds by default. If you would buy a 460 today instead of using a card of a few years old you might get very different numbers. Probably it also depends on the card manufacturer; I don't know if all of them are pushing new BIOS revisions from NVIDIA as quickly.

Also, not all 9800 cards are in such a high level by default. Phoronix also reviewed a 9600GSO with a high level by default some time ago. For the GeForce 6 series (PCIe, not AGP) it was still quite normal to find cards with a pretty high level by default, but in the 9 series most cards aren't programmed that way. You seem to be "lucky" with this card.
        Last edited by AlbertP; 11 January 2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
          Also, not all 9800 cards are in such a high level by default. Phoronix also reviewed a 9600GSO with a high level by default some time ago. For the GeForce 6 series (PCIe, not AGP) it was still quite normal to find cards with a pretty high level by default, but in the 9 series most cards aren't programmed that way. You seem to be "lucky" with this card.
          I confirm this, I had 9800GT which started at performance level by VGA BIOS, with driver spinning it down. Also means hair-drier style noise levels. Was truly "headache performance".

Comment

Working...
          X