Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D MSAA Performance (R300g)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    To me, there is a big difference in performance with --enable-debug, so big that I can't even use the flag for development. I supply my own gcc flags through the CFLAGS environment variable if I want some level of debugging with all gcc optimizations enabled.
    I just tried manually compiling mesa now (I make sure to do a make clean before every compilation and verify the -O flag and -DEBUG printed at the end of configure match what expected), this is what I get:
    • with --enable-debug + patch to revert -O0 and get -O2 -> 58.5 fps
    • without --enable-debug 60.1 fps

It's not a big difference here, I also only did 2 run to be sure with similar result (and you may notice the fps near to ~60 but I used vblank_mode=0). Strangely, however, it's a little slower than my yesterday run (~74 fps). On which app do you see the bigger difference?

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      I just tried manually compiling mesa now (I make sure to do a make clean before every compilation and verify the -O flag and -DEBUG printed at the end of configure match what expected), this is what I get:
      • with --enable-debug + patch to revert -O0 and get -O2 -> 58.5 fps
      • without --enable-debug 60.1 fps

It's not a big difference here, I also only did 2 run to be sure with similar result (and you may notice the fps near to ~60 but I used vblank_mode=0). Strangely, however, it's a little slower than my yesterday run (~74 fps). On which app do you see the bigger difference?
      With RV730:

glxgears - 5900 FPS, with debug 3900 FPS
      torcs - 33 FPS, with debug 14 FPS
      nexuiz - 56 FPS, with debug 54 FPS (okay that is GPU-bound with graphics options maxed out)

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it next week, I must run now.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          Note that in my PPA I added a patch to properly build with optimizations (disabling the recent changed behavior which is still being discussed on mesa-dev).
          I obviously fail at using launchpad, but how do you get to the packaging sources from that page? I'd like to see the patches you used in the latest build.

Couldn't find the packaging source nor patches clicking around.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I obviously fail at using launchpad, but how do you get to the packaging sources from that page? I'd like to see the patches you used in the latest build.

Couldn't find the packaging source nor patches clicking around.
            Click on View package details -> select the package -> download the .tar.gz (or other compression format) package(s).

Comment

No online selection for patches?

Even Debian has their patch tracker :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                No online selection for patches?
                No, AFAIK.

Comment

I noticed with r600g (radeon 5850) that MSAA performance was rather slow (~20fps) when I have my OpenGL window fullscreened, as opposed to just maximizing the window (which is only slightly smaller than fullscreen) which would give me 100+ fps. This was under XFCE with no compositing, swapbufferswait off, and vblank_mode=(whatever it was that disables vsync). Maybe that's the same (or a related) issue here with the odd MSAA numbers for r300g?

Comment

The issue might be that MSAA renderbuffers are allocated in RAM instead of VRAM. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                      With RV730:

glxgears - 5900 FPS, with debug 3900 FPS
                      torcs - 33 FPS, with debug 14 FPS
                      nexuiz - 56 FPS, with debug 54 FPS (okay that is GPU-bound with graphics options maxed out)
                      On my RV530:
                      • glxgears - 1750, with debug 1700 FPS
                      • torcs 7.3 with debug 6.7 fps

Note that with debug I reverted the -O0 flag and used -O2. Did you do the same to get your numbers?

Also I am sure torcs was much faster some time ago, I got around 15 fps IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X