Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one go about requesting the source code from a linux project???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one go about requesting the source code from a linux project???

I'd like to have access to the source code of this project

It's not an open-source project. It's a commercial product using Linux, so you can't have access to their source-code.

Comment

whut what?

how does that work?

I thouht you could charge all you want for your linux project as long you make the source code available

so I can just grab linux and make a proprietary OS and charge for it and that's that

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        ... so I can just grab linux and make a proprietary OS and charge for it and that's that
        No, but you can put your own proprietary apps on top of an unmodified Linux and sell that, or proprietary apps on top of a modified Linux and provide source for the modifications. That is very common in the embedded world, and I don't believe anyone has a problem with that.

Key point (AFAIK, YMMV, IANAL, etc..) is that running an app (which could be a complex real-time system) on Linux using standard system calls is not the same as modifying Linux. If you modify GPL code (whether it be kernel, drivers or utilities etc..) then you do need to make source available when you distribute.
        Last edited by bridgman; 10 January 2013, 05:22 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

You should be able to get all the source code to the gpl stuff they used - as soon as you get a copy of the binaries.

But their proprietary applications on top probably don't qualify as a derived work. But I'm not a lawyer.

Comment

You can ask for the kernel source as soon as you have the rifle. Doesn't seem too cheap

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              You can ask for the kernel source as soon as you have the rifle. Doesn't seem too cheap
              Actually, you can ask for the source even if you get access to a rifle that you don't actually own. Good luck finding someone who owns one though.

Comment

Working...
              X