Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Many Delays, Fedora 18 Is Finally Ready To Ship

Phoronix: After Many Delays, Fedora 18 Is Finally Ready To Ship

After another delay last week, the long and drawn out release of Fedora 18 will finally happen next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The latest Fedora 18 build image is indeed very robust, burn the image onto a DVD, put it into the DVD receiver upside down, reboot, and the fucker will still install.

Comment

It's a project management issue, really. Nobody would care much if they'd just said back in November that they were delaying the release by two months. But delaying it by a couple of weeks *eight times* is a bad look... a sign that nobody is taking a look at the situation and saying "two more weeks won't be enough".

Comment

i was saying this all along. proprietary vendors have delays too. 10.5 was delayed for like a year and vista was delayed for many years. the difference is that they gave the delay period ahead of time. although i have to say that everytime I see a Fedora release being delayed I laugh inside, because that thing is alpha software compared to Windows. I'm sorry but that's why truth. Any person that has any shred of self-respect would only use Debian Stable or equivalent. Anything less is basically full of bugs and is just gonna waste people's time.

Comment

^^^

After it's had time to cook for a while, it's pretty stable. I've never really had problems unless I started messing around with major packages. I'd tend to agree that it's sort of like Fedora is in a constant Beta/RC stage, though.
          Last edited by Nobu; 10 January 2013, 12:36 AM. Reason: unnecessary quote is unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            i was saying this all along. proprietary vendors have delays too. 10.5 was delayed for like a year and vista was delayed for many years. the difference is that they gave the delay period ahead of time. although i have to say that everytime I see a Fedora release being delayed I laugh inside, because that thing is alpha software compared to Windows. I'm sorry but that's why truth. Any person that has any shred of self-respect would only use Debian Stable or equivalent. Anything less is basically full of bugs and is just gonna waste people's time.
            Fedora had never had the same target of Debian stable, Ubuntu lts or Centos... it aims to be bleeding edge and to showcase the latest technologies. Anyway, for me it works quite well (but yes, Debian is more stable and i'll choose it for important tasks).

Comment

Luckily I abandoned the trainwreck called Fedora a year ago and happily switched to CentOS 6.3.

I don't need this f*ckload of changes every release, I don't even want to keep up with them - I want a stable system I can use for years without fearing that something might break now and then.

Comment

yeah well....

now I don't want it anymore :/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Luckily I abandoned the trainwreck called Fedora a year ago and happily switched to CentOS 6.3.

I don't need this f*ckload of changes every release, I don't even want to keep up with them - I want a stable system I can use for years without fearing that something might break now and then.
                  Then it was retarded of you to install Fedora in the first place, as that is definitely not what it is marketed as.
                  I, for example, am fucking sick of having to use 3 years old software on Debian at work.

Comment

While I agree that if you want rock hard reliability Debian Stable or CentOS are better choices, I have not had too many issues using Fedora. And the fact that it offers some semblance of stability while giving me close to the most recent drivers and kernels is a big motivation to use it if you really do not want to mess about with rolling release distros like Arch.

Comment

Working...
                    X