Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Developers Ponder Using C++11 Features

Phoronix: LLVM Developers Ponder Using C++11 Features

While C++11 is an ISO standard and the Clang C/C++ compiler front-end to LLVM has been supporting C++11, developers behind the LLVM compiler infrastructure are still deciding whether to allow C++11 language features within their code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chris Lattner and all of his LLVM whores should spend their time on better things such as dying or getting bent over and fucked by GCC.

Comment

On related note

Does the Linux kernel make use of or allow C11?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Does the Linux kernel make use of or allow C11?
        Everything kernel-side is written in pure-C AFAIK. Userspace or shim layers can be C++, but linus and some of the other devs have a real problem with C++
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

double post, delete

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Everything kernel-side is written in pure-C AFAIK. Userspace or shim layers can be C++, but linus and some of the other devs have a real problem with C++
            Yes, I know but I wasn't asking about C++11, I was asking about C11.

Comment

Whoops, sorry, misread. Saw "C" + "11" and my brain automatically dropped in the ++ lol

Linus' thoughts on C11:

Source: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-02/msg00042.html

The problem I have with treating this as a C11 issue is that people
              aren't using C11 compilers, and won't for a long while.

So quite frankly, it won't be reasonable for the kernel people to say
              "use a C11 version" for years to come.

[...]

And don't get me wrong. I don't think that means that C11 is *bad*.
              It's just that the kernel is very different from most other projects.
              We have to have those crazy architecture-specific header files and
              random synchronization macros etc anyway.

C11 is not - I think - even meant to be geared towards the Linux
              kernel kind of crazy use. We really do some odd things, adding
              compiler features for them is mostly a mistake. asm() takes care of a
              lot of the oddities for us, it's not like all of them are about memory
              accesses or concurrency either.

I do think that the threading issues in C11 are going to help us
              kernel people, because the more people think about issues with
              concurrency, they really *will* be hitting some of the issues we've
              been having. So it clearly forces clarification of just what the word
              "access" implies, for example, which is certainly not going to be bad
              for the kernel.

Comment

Working...
              X