Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Are they allowed to ship the box with the proprietary drivers?
    Sure, why not?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Its AMD APU inside, so its either catalyst or opensource.
    Where did yoy see it?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Where did yoy see it?
    Technical Documents talk about an Trinity APU. Currently is the xi3 website down so i cant link the informations:/

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    126

    Angry disappointed

    I've been getting more and more disappointed with this. At first I thought it was a Console, only to find out it's just a PC. And there was so much Linux talk, but now they say you can just install Windows. At first glance it looks like people are throwing a $400 price around to which I say: If it's going to compete with other Consoles, it has to be under $200 or it's DOA.

    This whole thing has been a scam it seems. I really thought Linux was going to get a boost, what a let down.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Most people don't know shit about linux and wouldn't know to install the proprietary drivers. That would be a huge disservice to valve.
    Are you seriously suggesting that most gamers don't know how to install vendor supplied graphics drivers?

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    The last category is the one that creates problems. Why do I have to install the proprietary drivers manually after installing Ubuntu? Why don't I get them by default? The fact is that open source is hardly a match for an army of true professional programmers. As long as the open source drivers suck they should not be promoted. They should be marginalized and hidden out of sight for it's one of the weaknesses of linux and people coming to linux will be disappointed int the current state of affairs. As long as proprietary are better they should be the default. It is only pragmatic. Anything else is bullshit.
    But people have stated plenty of pragmatic reasons for shipping and supporting FOSS drivers (not that "pragmatic" arguments are necessarily better than moral ones), such as proper system and kernel integration, maintainability, sometimes better 2D support, sometimes stability, sometimes better card support, etc.

    And why should people see this as a Linux weakness, when a default Windows install does not ship with full fledged vendor drivers either? By the way, I am not entirely sure how it works, but I thought Ubuntu had Jockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    But wait! The open source idiots using arguments like 'linux is evolution not intelligent design' by God Almighty keep changing X.org so that the proprietary drivers need to be updated every month or so. So basically, AMD and Nvidia who don't owe linux shit but still provide us with drivers even when they don't need to, have to change their drivers to accommodate the changes in X.org.
    They are not doing it for charity, and they are not doing it for you. They are doing it for 3D Workstations - so yes, the enterprise. We do not owe them anything either - and since they do in fact make money of the Linux market, they can actually be said to owe us. Not usually the desktop market, but still.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    Straw man, Hamish. My point was to caution against blind adherence to advocate positions because it's cool to do so. Is the point of advocacy, at least in part, not to upset the status quo in an attempt to work toward becoming the majority position? And once this is obtained, then do you not run the risk of the tyranny of that majority? One could argue that is precisely the position we are in now, but trading one foaming-at-the-mouth dictator for another with slightly differently colored spittle is not an improvement.
    Yes, but saying advocacy is tyranny is still a tyrannical position in of itself, and a position which has promoted tyranny a lot more often than these "blind advocates" (speaking of strawmen...) that you make mention of. The main thing that keeps tyranny going is apathy, which is what a lot of people who state they are on the side of "pragmatism" often accept and promote. You can complain about someones actions, you can even criticize another's words, but please don't tell me someone can not promote a position for fear of tyranny. Because really, is that not the censor's argument, that we need it to prevent the spread of dangerous ideas in society?

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    Some of the noise being made here on this subject (and their numbers are, thankfully, few) sounds remarkably like that of a dictator without a sufficiently large fan club. In common parlance they are oftentimes referred to as "wackos and nut jobs". I fear them with power, because they haven't demonstrated temperance with the "you're either with us or you're against us" stand on using proprietary drivers. Such hard-line stances are rarely appropriate.
    And then there are people calling out FOSS users and developers saying they are idiots or tyrants, and that they are actively conspiring against these hardworking innocent hardware vendors. Seriously, have you not read a Phoronix thread before?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Why do I have to install the proprietary drivers manually after installing Ubuntu? Why don't I get them by default?
    Because both the GPL and the blobs' licenses (EULA) prohibit it.

    And don't you think that you're whining too hard about what amounts to installing a package? I mean, how long are you going to whine about it? Just install the package and be done with it, FFS. Then don't upgrade the kernel or X and you'll never need to worry about ABI any more.

    If you keep installing new versions of kernel and X, you obviously like what the developers are doing.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that most gamers don't know how to install vendor supplied graphics drivers?
    In the context of an off-the-shelf console it would certainly not be ordinary to expect the customer to install drivers before use.

    Obviously a "Steam Box" would have to have proprietary drivers pre-installed or it's DOA as a consumer product.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    even windows i think breaks API and ABI when releasing service packs. for exp i know for sure that XP with sp3 wont work with original cd-driver that was made lets say for sp1 they will tell u need to update to lastest service pack bla bla to be able to install driver.But in linux land its true things get broken more often and i think must be nightmare for delopers of graphic driver to keep up to date on linux. But my hopes are Intel will make more and more powerfull integrated GPUs so in the future i plan to use only intel hardware at least i wont have to worry about kernel and xorg updates. Even with this shortcomings i still prefer linux over anything just when playing games i use windoze.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    And why should people see this as a Linux weakness, when a default Windows install does not ship with full fledged vendor drivers either? By the way, I am not entirely sure how it works, but I thought Ubuntu had Jockey?
    Nowadays, Windows just automatically downloads/installs the drivers once it sees the hardware for the first time, without user intervention. (Sometimes, this is a BAD thing, like when you want to remove a driver to install a newer version, and Windows re-downloads the old driver because its database isn't updated yet.) But still, seamless to the user. Since I built my Win 7 x64 PC, I can't remember having to manually install a single driver (aside from occasional GPU driver updates, of course).

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Because both the GPL and the blobs' licenses (EULA) prohibit it.
    Wrong on both counts, actually. Nvidia's licence specifically says:

    2.1.2 Linux/FreeBSD Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files).
    And nowhere in the GPL does it state that you are not allowed to include a closed kernel module when shipping to a user/users. Although if you can actually find this clause in the GPL please correct me, I will admit I haven't painstakingly combed through all of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •