Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Exactly. And then, as valve posts statistics, we'll know exactly what percentage of linux users is sane and what percentage is insane.
    As someone who wants easy maintainability and proper system integration, the free drivers are most definitely the sanest choice. And I game with them a lot to.

What crawled in your ass and died BO$$?

That being said, I doubt anyone will really care if a Steambox is going to use blob or free drivers, considering Steam itself is locked down and proprietary already.

Is it really that hard to accept that we won't be getting anything open sourced from either AMD or Nvidia for the time being? Not everything needs to be open source. And I find the idea of imposing open source no different from the tyrant that you say is closed source.
    I am using free drivers developed in cooperation with AMD, so I do not find this concept hard to accept. And considering advocacy to be the same as tyrany is a very rich conceit.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 08 January 2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      And considering advocacy to be the same as tyrany is a very rich conceit.
      I would ask you to name a single tyrant who did not have his advocates.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
        Not the same thing at all - advocacy in of itself does not impose anything on anybody. Power does. So arguing for something that lessens power as being tyranical I will always find rather amusing.

Comment

Exactly. And then, as valve posts statistics, we'll know exactly what percentage of linux users is sane and what percentage is insane.
          The vast majority of linux users just use intel integrated graphics, just like the larger PC market. Or do you mean linux "gamers"?

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
            Stop oppressing me by posting your opinions on Phoronix.

LOL

Comment

What about the graphics drivers? They surely can't ship with the open source versions. Hahaha it's gonna be so amusing hearing all the linux zealots calling valve names that they didn't choose their wonderfully fantastic open source drivers. In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it. I'd love to hear what the open source commies have to say about this.
              Are you really that stupid?

In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it.
              You do realise that the majority of the work done on all open source drivers is PAID for by company's like Red Hat i.e. not the people TRYING to make money on Linux but the ones that ARE making money on it.

There are two people in this world the naysayers and the doers. You my friend are a naysayer, and judging by your posts you always will be. Its just sad really.

Comment

modular, open, and portable ? could this be THE mini-pc?

In Gaben We Trust.

Comment

Gotta hand it to Michael. His post-Seattle rattle was all legit and on the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                    This sounds very good. They are also considering a high precision low-latency controller, which involves making Linux drivers for a non HID-device
                    I seriously hope they select a low-latency kernel to go along with it, which would also help for a smoother framerate.
                    Going with a low latenct kernel (like RH MRG) is what I suggested when I first heard about this.
                    Hopefully they will be working with RH on this because it would seem to be right up their alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Not the same thing at all - advocacy in of itself does not impose anything on anybody. Power does. So arguing for something that lessens power as being tyranical I will always find rather amusing.
                      Straw man, Hamish. My point was to caution against blind adherence to advocate positions because it's cool to do so. Is the point of advocacy, at least in part, not to upset the status quo in an attempt to work toward becoming the majority position? And once this is obtained, then do you not run the risk of the tyranny of that majority? One could argue that is precisely the position we are in now, but trading one foaming-at-the-mouth dictator for another with slightly differently colored spittle is not an improvement.
                      Some of the noise being made here on this subject (and their numbers are, thankfully, few) sounds remarkably like that of a dictator without a sufficiently large fan club. In common parlance they are oftentimes referred to as "wackos and nut jobs". I fear them with power, because they haven't demonstrated temperance with the "you're either with us or you're against us" stand on using proprietary drivers. Such hard-line stances are rarely appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                      X