Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,406

    Default Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

    Phoronix: Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

    Valve's Gabe Newell has confirmed their Steam Box will be Linux-based and will be open for its users and not a locked-down piece of hardware...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3MDI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    The real Steam Box will be amazing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    The real Steam Box will be amazing.
    Tell us more about it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Default

    This sounds very good. They are also considering a high precision low-latency controller, which involves making Linux drivers for a non HID-device
    I seriously hope they select a low-latency kernel to go along with it, which would also help for a smoother framerate.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    This sounds very good. They are also considering a high precision low-latency controller, which involves making Linux drivers for a non HID-device
    I seriously hope they select a low-latency kernel to go along with it, which would also help for a smoother framerate.
    What about integrating the Brain Fuck Scheduler from Con Kolivas?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    912

    Default

    I wonder if it's gonna be using X.org, Wayland or something else.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I wonder if it's gonna be using X.org, Wayland or something else.
    The first iteration of Steam boxes will most certainly user X.org, Wayland is not going to be ready in time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What about the graphics drivers? They surely can't ship with the open source versions. Hahaha it's gonna be so amusing hearing all the linux zealots calling valve names that they didn't choose their wonderfully fantastic open source drivers. In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it. I'd love to hear what the open source commies have to say about this.
    The obvious choice would be to ship with Nvidia hardware and their official drivers. Those who dislike this can switch the driver and/or hardware as they please. Valve is not going to lock it down. Those who choose to suffer with the open drivers are free to do it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What about the graphics drivers? They surely can't ship with the open source versions. Hahaha it's gonna be so amusing hearing all the linux zealots calling valve names that they didn't choose their wonderfully fantastic open source drivers. In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it. I'd love to hear what the open source commies have to say about this.
    Are you really that stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it.
    You do realise that the majority of the work done on all open source drivers is PAID for by company's like Red Hat i.e. not the people TRYING to make money on Linux but the ones that ARE making money on it.

    There are two people in this world the naysayers and the doers. You my friend are a naysayer, and judging by your posts you always will be. Its just sad really.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What about the graphics drivers? They surely can't ship with the open source versions. Hahaha it's gonna be so amusing hearing all the linux zealots calling valve names that they didn't choose their wonderfully fantastic open source drivers. In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it. I'd love to hear what the open source commies have to say about this.
    Who cares what it ships with?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •