Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Hack Makes Nouveau Faster For Team Fortress 2

Phoronix: Mesa Hack Makes Nouveau Faster For Team Fortress 2

Two performance-related commits were made today to Mesa for the Nouveau Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm... I haven't played TF2 on Nouveau yet, but I wonder if the same (or a similar) issue is affecting r600g.

When playing TF2, I get fairly good framerates on my radeon 6850, but fairly often, the screen freezes for a portion of a second. I had been assuming that there was some sort of shader compilation going on, but if there's a large buffer that is being reallocated/relocated, that could also possibly explain it (i.e. the driver is reallocating, repopulating, and then reuploading and waiting for the upload to finish...).

I haven't managed to grab an API Trace of what's causing the behavior, but maybe I will attempt that sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Hmm... I haven't played TF2 on Nouveau yet, but I wonder if the same (or a similar) issue is affecting r600g.

When playing TF2, I get fairly good framerates on my radeon 6850, but fairly often, the screen freezes for a portion of a second. I had been assuming that there was some sort of shader compilation going on, but if there's a large buffer that is being reallocated/relocated, that could also possibly explain it (i.e. the driver is reallocating, repopulating, and then reuploading and waiting for the upload to finish...).

I haven't managed to grab an API Trace of what's causing the behavior, but maybe I will attempt that sometime soon.
      i would check the cpu scheduler. similar thing used to happen for me in psx emulators some time ago - it would stall every few seconds for up to 0.5 second. it was almost non existent with BFS last time i tried it (and it was quite a while ago).

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        i would check the cpu scheduler. similar thing used to happen for me in psx emulators some time ago - it would stall every few seconds for up to 0.5 second. it was almost non existent with BFS last time i tried it (and it was quite a while ago).
        I'll give it a shot. I had already played with the CPU performance governor, but I haven't mucked around with the scheduler yet.

Comment

Working...
        X