Thread: Mesa Hack Makes Nouveau Faster For Team Fortress 2

Default Mesa Hack Makes Nouveau Faster For Team Fortress 2

Phoronix: Mesa Hack Makes Nouveau Faster For Team Fortress 2

Two performance-related commits were made today to Mesa for the Nouveau Gallium3D driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2OTg

Hmm... I haven't played TF2 on Nouveau yet, but I wonder if the same (or a similar) issue is affecting r600g.

When playing TF2, I get fairly good framerates on my radeon 6850, but fairly often, the screen freezes for a portion of a second. I had been assuming that there was some sort of shader compilation going on, but if there's a large buffer that is being reallocated/relocated, that could also possibly explain it (i.e. the driver is reallocating, repopulating, and then reuploading and waiting for the upload to finish...).

I haven't managed to grab an API Trace of what's causing the behavior, but maybe I will attempt that sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Hmm... I haven't played TF2 on Nouveau yet, but I wonder if the same (or a similar) issue is affecting r600g.

When playing TF2, I get fairly good framerates on my radeon 6850, but fairly often, the screen freezes for a portion of a second. I had been assuming that there was some sort of shader compilation going on, but if there's a large buffer that is being reallocated/relocated, that could also possibly explain it (i.e. the driver is reallocating, repopulating, and then reuploading and waiting for the upload to finish...).

I haven't managed to grab an API Trace of what's causing the behavior, but maybe I will attempt that sometime soon.
    i would check the cpu scheduler. similar thing used to happen for me in psx emulators some time ago - it would stall every few seconds for up to 0.5 second. it was almost non existent with BFS last time i tried it (and it was quite a while ago).

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    i would check the cpu scheduler. similar thing used to happen for me in psx emulators some time ago - it would stall every few seconds for up to 0.5 second. it was almost non existent with BFS last time i tried it (and it was quite a while ago).
    I'll give it a shot. I had already played with the CPU performance governor, but I haven't mucked around with the scheduler yet.