Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon 8000 Series Released. What is the state of things for opensource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon 8000 Series Released. What is the state of things for opensource?

From here(please do not discuss it there).

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    @twriter, Bridgman, agd5f

Now that AMD has officially presented the Radeon HD 8000 GPU line

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...desktop.aspx#3,

will we see the first programming docs soon?

They appear to be rebadge of the 7000 serie, so it's just probably some PCIIDs to add to the drivers.

Comment

See here for more info:

Comment

Having 8k entire series be rebadges kinda puts "hd8k will be the first supported in open drivers on launch" in a new light

The most scary thing being that they knew it would be rebadges many years ago already....

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          They appear to be rebadge of the 7000 serie, so it's just probably some PCIIDs to add to the drivers.
          Seems like you're right.

So an OEM Radeon HD 8950 will be fundamentally different from a retail HD 8950?
          I expected at least the new high-end chips to have GCN2.

Oh my, this is confusing
          ...and embarrassing. :/

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Having 8k entire series be rebadges kinda puts "hd8k will be the first supported in open drivers on launch" in a new light
            They deliver as promised.

I came up with the whole thing after reading the German news site 'heise.de'.
            Mit einem neuen Tablet-Prozessor sowie zwei neuen APU-Generationen für Notebooks und Desktop-Rechnern will AMD den Abstand auf Intel verkürzen und in boomenden Marktsegmenten Fuß fassen.

heise media has a good reputation and they usually don't publish junk.

The last paragraph might be a bit misleading when they say AMD announced the HD 8000 GPU line at CES
            (not just the mobile ones). They continue mentioning that some OEM parts will ship first.

Comment

The GPUs announced so far are not the "next generation" hardware we have been talking about.
              Last edited by bridgman; 08 January 2013, 02:44 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Will the "next generation" hardware be released with an 8xxx number too?

Comment

I think so...
                  Test signature

Comment

That's pretty horrible, seeing as the rebadges span the entire range this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X