Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 86 of 86

Thread: Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by makomk View Post
    Except, of course, that systemd isn't generic at all - it's designed by one distro, Fedora, for their distro-specific needs...
    Ehh... systemd is collaborative project between various distributions including Fedora, openSUSE, Arch Linux, Mageia, Tizen, Mer and various others. It's definetly not designed by one distribution or one company. It has quite a few people developing it too as mentioned in the interview:

    Depends how you count. 15 people have commit access (from a number of backgrounds: Debian folks, community folks, Arch Linux folks, Red Hat folks, even one Canonical guy!). 373 people have contributed patches so far. The biggest part of core development is done by 3 people or so, but there’s a group of 10 people who regularly contribute major new components too. We have at least 5 people now who get paid for upstream systemd work.
    The configarion files that systemd uses combined ideas from various distributions and didn't just use the ones that Fedora used before for example.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    He is biased. And it does comply with some parts.
    Everybody is biased including you and me, deal with it.
    Last edited by finalzone; 01-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    He is biased.
    That doesn't mean he's wrong.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finalzone View Post
    Everybody is biased including you and me, deal with it.
    In this case I'm (and probably you) less biased then he, because he wrote systemd.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    That doesn't mean he's wrong.
    That doesn't mean he's right, either.

    I agree that it complies with "everything is a file", but this is just a part of Unix philosophy.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Ehh... systemd is collaborative project between various distributions including Fedora, openSUSE, Arch Linux, Mageia, Tizen, Mer and various others. It's definetly not designed by one distribution or one company.
    And when Arch Linux first introduced it, users found they couldn't actually shut their systems down after the initial systemd migration because, since Fedora requires you to boot from an install CD to do any kind of major upgrade, the systemd developers didn't bother to include any way of upgrading existing init systems for distros that didn't work that way.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by makomk View Post
    And when Arch Linux first introduced it, users found they couldn't actually shut their systems down after the initial systemd migration because, since Fedora requires you to boot from an install CD to do any kind of major upgrade, the systemd developers didn't bother to include any way of upgrading existing init systems for distros that didn't work that way.
    So it was obviously overlooked. This is called a bug. If we're going to bash new software because they have bugs, well... That's just silly...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •