Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

Phoronix: Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

Lennart Poettering announced the release of systemd 197 on Monday evening. This new release of the increasingly popular init system and service manager for Linux does introduce several new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Systemd is doing the right thing; merging up the right stuff and purging out the worst shit. Easier maintenance and less distro crap. It is quite nice though to see systemd is gaining a larger community outside RH.

Surely some neckbeardo will start forking it now because they hate Lennart and Kay. Now they can hate Auke Kok, Tom Gundersen et al. as welll since they did the right job of merging&purging. This also adds new layers to the idiotic conspiracy about systemd; Lennart is using systems as a puppet to kill children and drive everyone to Macs. Now Intel and Arch has turned evil too.

2013 is gonna be a great year for systemd -and its haters.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 08 January 2013, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I realise there is much hate concerning systemd and Poettering.
      I've to admit I don't know the background of the story.

All I can add is my experience on Arch:
      I had no problems so far and it's blazing fast.

Comment

Didn't they just killed cronie with the new timer/calendar feature ?

Comment

Cronie, dcron, distro-specific implementations.

BTW, the most powerful argument against systemd is "PulseAudio gives problems", always. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            Cronie, dcron, distro-specific implementations.

BTW, the most powerful argument against systemd is "PulseAudio gives problems", always. Keep that in mind.
            I'm surprised that they haven't merged PulseAudio into systemd already, myself. :P

I heard a rumour that the Webkit project was under consideration for being merged too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              Nah. The best (read most stupid) argument against it remains the "Unix pholosophy" one.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Systemd is doing the right thing; merging up the right stuff and purging out the worst shit. Easier maintenance and less distro crap. It is quite nice though to see systemd is gaining a larger community outside RH.

Surely some neckbeardo will start forking it now because they hate Lennart and Kay. Now they can hate Auke Kok, Tom Gundersen et al. as welll since they did the right job of merging&purging. This also adds new layers to the idiotic conspiracy about systemd; Lennart is using systems as a puppet to kill children and drive everyone to Macs. Now Intel and Arch has turned evil too.
                When they merge Qt in, you will become "neckbeard" too.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Nah. The best (read most stupid) argument against it remains the "Unix pholosophy" one.
                "Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                  When they merge Qt in..
                  Sure they will merge stuff with CLA. Im sure the easter bunny, pixie lot and justin bieber will comaintain as well. Oh wait systemd is about removing walled gardens, not supporting them...

Too bad for craptastic shit ruled under CA or CLA. That includes upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    "Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
                    Bullshit. What solves a problem in a better way is always the best solution. The "philosophy" arguments are religion level stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X