Nokia is dying (thanks to microsoft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    MeeGo was not intended for the low-cost market, that was Meltemi I think. But then, there is no low-cost Windows phone either.
    Tango targets much lower-spec hardware than MeeGo ever ever did.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
      Tango targets much lower-spec hardware than MeeGo ever ever did.
      I didn't claim otherwise. "lower-spec than MeeGo" does not equate low-cost. Meltemi was for low-cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Yes, Asha(S40) is not included because only Nokia sees Asha as smartphones while the analysts don't.
        As the asha lines is the successor to many of the earlier s60 phones you get pretty meaningless stats if you exclude the asha phones.
        Either you should exclude many of the earlier s60 phones or include asha.
        Last edited by Akka; 18 April 2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• While it's debatable whether Ashas are smartphones or not, calling S40 a successor to S60 is a bit of a stretch. UI-wise maybe, but certainly not in functionality.

Besides, sales of "Asha full touch smartphones" fell almost by half QoQ (down 46% from 9.3mln to 5.0mln) while total handset sales only fell 28%. So they are becoming less relevant inside Nokia even. The most likely cause is competition from sub-$100 Android phones.

Comment

• There's now a $99 Android phone from a big name manufacturer, with an IPS screen and a quad core cpu. (Archos, introduced today)

Bit hard for Asha to compete with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
              There's now a $99 Android phone from a big name manufacturer, with an IPS screen and a quad core cpu. (Archos, introduced today)

Ever used an Android-powered tablet by Archos? it's torture, to say the least. So I'm very skeptical that they can produce a good phone that doesn't lag the very second I put my finger on the display.

If I want a laggy Android experience my old HTC Wildfire can do an even better job at that.

Comment

• I have yet to see a non-laggy Android phone, including quad/penta cores. I haven't used 4.1 or newer, though.

The point was more about the hw anyway - if a brand name can push that kind of hw at that price, having a tiny-screen Asha with antique hw is not going to cut it.

Comment

I have yet to see a non-laggy Android phone, including quad/penta cores. I haven't used 4.1 or newer, though.

The point was more about the hw anyway - if a brand name can push that kind of hw at that price, having a tiny-screen Asha with antique hw is not going to cut it.
                  Versions of Samsung's Galaxy handsets that use their own in-house Exynos SoCs come in very close to near non-laggy as opposed to those that use SoCs from other suppliers. Why Samsung has to use different SoCs for the same phone in different parts of the world remains a mystery. Remember the Galaxy S2? The versions powered by Samsung's Exynos processors were said to be more fluid than those that made use of Nvidia's Tegra SoC.

And for some people, animation lag is a huge no-no. And my (only) experience with an old Asha phone during a Nokia roadshow some years back was that they generally appear rather fluid for their antiquated hardware.

Comment

There's now a $99 Android phone from a big name manufacturer, with an IPS screen and a quad core cpu. (Archos, introduced today)

I'm sure Asha only is a temporary solution in the wake for cheap windows 8 phones. I suppose the scrapping of s60 and meego indicate Nokia don't plan to develop a smartphone os long term on their own anymore. The Asha development is probably easier to streamline with the regular s40 development. If I remember correct they have now windows 8 phones around 200 Euro (maybe cheaper in some countries?) so the space for Asha is shrinking.
                    Last edited by Akka; 20 April 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Actually the $99 Archos phone (35 Carbon) is only single core and not that exciting over other $99 Android phones like the Huawei Y201 Pro.

WP8 devices are now down to $180 (Lumia 520) but they don't compete with Asha at all because the latter sell for $100 or less. WP8 still has a long way to go until it reaches $100, not only because of minimum hardware requirements but also because vendors are locked into a very limited number of mobile SoCs.

The problem of lagginess is much overstated I think. In that market segment, it is most important whether or not people can afford a smartphone at all. They will happily accept some jerky animations in exchange for browsing the Internet, installing apps, etc.
                      Last edited by chithanh; 20 April 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X