Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 3 BFG On Linux Gets In A Better State

Phoronix: Doom 3 BFG On Linux Gets In A Better State

While id Software isn't supporting Doom 3 BFG on Linux, thanks to releasing the Doom 3 BFG engine source-code, it's been successfully ported to Linux via the open-source development community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tested it yesterday already, the first openal patch had some issues with savegames but a commit later it worked nicely. If somebody could add video support it would be great. The engine looks smoother than the original doom 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I tested it yesterday already, the first openal patch had some issues with savegames but a commit later it worked nicely. If somebody could add video support it would be great. The engine looks smoother than the original doom 3.
      Is there controller support in the BFG edition of DOOM 3?

Comment

I wonder if this is going to work with my Oculus Rift like the Windows version when I get mine in a couple months. That'd be awesome. I know the Rift itself has Linux support.

Comment

The Windows version is going to need a patch for Rift support.

Have they found a way to play the Bink video's now?
          Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 08 January 2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Just ignore kanotix. He is a crazy idiot, who have no idea of how to get linux or doom 3 running well.

Check the jitter links on my engineering page. (hompage url, on my profile.) That will give the lowest jitter (no frameloss, dropouts, bad frametiming etc) on linux or windows, and suggests hardware for the optimal low-jitter PC. Which is gives the most pleasant PC experience.

Perfect Doom 3 binary on linux, even on a core 2 duo, with a matching gfx card. Tested on GTX280. Windows version needs more current hardware for perfect frames, such as an Intel E5 workstation.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

You compare apples with oranges. Both engines are completly different, Doom 3 is mainly optimizied for 1 core but Doom 3 BFG is heavyly multithreaded. But there is still nothing good in using slow clocked cpus compared to higher clocked ones. BFG can be set to 120 hz without patch and has integrated 3d modes.

Comment

You compare apples with oranges. Both engines are completly different, Doom 3 is mainly optimizied for 1 core but Doom 3 BFG is heavyly multithreaded. But there is still nothing good in using slow clocked cpus compared to higher clocked ones. BFG can be set to 120 hz without patch and has integrated 3d modes.
                Kano, I have it running PERFECTLY. There is nothing to improve, when it comes to "doom 3".

Your talk is just crazy talk as usual. And you are unwilled and unreasoned, like many monkeys in forums/IRC/mailinglists. And your use of the phrase "heavily multithreaded" shows just that.

Doom 3 as a game and product, can run perfectly on a core 2 duo. Nothing you never did, or had the skill to do.

If you want to heavily modify the engine, and make a new game with it, go head, if anyone should posess the skill. But there is a reason for why Carmack does indeed sell games, and you don?t.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

Hillbilly Hicks version

Originally posted by Hillybilly Hick Computers

Dont you worry boy, I got one of dem threads on EVERY nybble. Take a bit o time before the text is on screen, when I type, but you gotta upgrade them pervasive threadin computers. 5 second response time is quite enuff. I also worked on MACOSX lately. Overhead is no problem here. You can?t expect a computer to behave like human bein. There is waitin time and frame drops.

Read here about dem nybbles.
                  Never doubt the wisdom of Hillbilly Hick Computers.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

@Paradox Uncreated

Carmack optimized the BFG edition with code from Rage. It is not based on the old engine but on a modified Rage one. As Rage was optimizied for consoles the BFG variant is as well - and multithreading is the way to go for that. Xbox 360 for example has 3 cores. When a 10y old engine runs fine with your GTX 280 it is not that unusual but consoles are much simpler. Thats also no card that everybody has got! Also most of your issues are solved with ssds, but you dont get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X