Compiz Will Not Be Ported To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Yeah. Qt is as shitty, shady and all about CA&skunkworks like Canonical. It is like the perfect dating match. I really hope they will marry! They probaly end like that anyway. It seems like the latest mergeup in systemd land is heading towards a CoreOS which doesnt suits Mr Skunkworths evil plans. A just and fair payback from RH. Lolz.
    You're weird.

Comment

Good call.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        You're weird.
        Why? That is what is happening.

Canonical doing skunkwork which contains some Qt.

Systemd merging up nss-myhostname

systemd purging maintainership for distro-specific shit

There you have it. the linux world is fragmenting more than ever. The systemd guys(more than LP and Kay) makes systemd more distro agnostic and merges up other boot/session-related stuff. To save maintainership for anyone who wants a generic core OS without any walled gardens. Canonical on the other hand is doing the total opposite; They are building a walled garden by the means of another walled garden(Qt).

Comment

Most sad part about the skunkwork. The wording makes you feel they are proud of it and they expect you to be excited. "Hey we are doing some secret shit and you cant peek at the code, now please go use our CAed shit-interface called Unity we promise we share every keystroke with Amazon!"

I really hope for a market penetration like this.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And FAIL factor like this.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Anyone buying into this shit is dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            They are building a walled garden by the means of another walled garden(Qt).
            Yes, an open source (licensed for both GPL and LGPL) library is quite the walled garden... *insert remark about how GPL and LGPL both protect the freedom to do what you want with the code*

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
              I guess they could switch to Mutter?
              It's in a much better state than it was 2 years ago.
              Yeah, in hindsight, moving away from Mutter was a bad call for Ubuntu. True, Mutter wasn't performing well at the time, but it wasn't long before the Gnome devs addressed most of those problems.

Comment

This is Linux's #1 problem above all others

If there is one problem that has set Linux progress back - be it on the server or the desktop, is the OS fragmentation. This fragmentation is fueled by the ginormous egos and hubris of developers who actually think they "invent" something new by doing it "their" way instead of coming together in groups of 6-12 developers at most for any given project and agreeing, by vote if necessary, on how to proceed with any project that is needed and fills a need.

I'm not proposing a solution as I have none, short of asking developers to unite - a utopian dream at best..... But this has bugged me more than anything else about Linux, the reinventing the wheel, over and over and over, and actually believing and drinking one's own Kool-Aid....

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  If there is one problem that has set Linux progress back - be it on the server or the desktop, is the OS fragmentation. This fragmentation is fueled by the ginormous egos and hubris of developers who actually think they "invent" something new by doing it "their" way instead of coming together in groups of 6-12 developers at most for any given project and agreeing, by vote if necessary, on how to proceed with any project that is needed and fills a need.

I'm not proposing a solution as I have none, short of asking developers to unite - a utopian dream at best..... But this has bugged me more than anything else about Linux, the reinventing the wheel, over and over and over, and actually believing and drinking one's own Kool-Aid....
                  I think the worst part is we reinvent the wheel (compositors, audio engines, text editors, terminals, etc) without making one sony vegas quality non-linear video editor, not keeping GIMP up to snuff against photoshop, not making sure Blender is better than Maya, and not keeping any of the dozens of FOSS game engines up to snuff against competitors like Unreal 3.

Too much effort is put into repeating the same work on the same things that, albeit, are essential to the desktop experience, but there is a significant lack of end-user products that can compete and draw new recruits to Linux space instead of everyone just sitting on Windows due to software.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    So if Compiz is out on account of fragmentation, that just leaves KWin, Mutter, Metacity, Xfwm, Openbox, Enlightenment, and a variety of much smaller projects. And those are just the tiling WMs!

I definite get the perspective of the fragmentation being bad. Having the QT / GTK split between KWin and Mutter seems inevitable, but I hope that the non-platform centric WMs can converge around Openbox, it seems to have the most traction.
                    Before posting such dumb comments, read the actual blog post first: He's not talking about X11 window managers. He talks about Wayland which currently has only one and that's Weston.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Also, without Compiz, how is Unity supposed to run on Wayland?
                    Also for you: Read the blog post before asking stupid questions. But I am a nice person and answer that anyway: By porting Unity to Weston and if all those Phoronix stories about Ubuntu and Wayland are any indication, that's exactly what Canonical is doing.

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
                    I guess they could switch to Mutter?
                    Why would they switch to Mutter? Mutter does not even work under Wayland. Currently only Weston does!

Comment

I believe there are several compositors that are work in progress. Even very experimental stuff like that one that was even featured on phoronix a while ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs

Comment

Working...
                      X