Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz Will Not Be Ported To Wayland

Phoronix: Compiz Will Not Be Ported To Wayland

The Compiz window manager is not going to be ported to Wayland. The lead Compiz developer also sees no reason to continue the compositing window manager's development beyond maintenance purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So if Compiz is out on account of fragmentation, that just leaves KWin, Mutter, Metacity, Xfwm, Openbox, Enlightenment, and a variety of much smaller projects. And those are just the tiling WMs!

I definite get the perspective of the fragmentation being bad. Having the QT / GTK split between KWin and Mutter seems inevitable, but I hope that the non-platform centric WMs can converge around Openbox, it seems to have the most traction.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      So if Compiz is out on account of fragmentation, that just leaves KWin, Mutter, Metacity, Xfwm, Openbox, Enlightenment, and a variety of much smaller projects.
      Metacity is no longer actively developed, since Mutter is now the successor version of Metacity (Mutter = Metacity + Clutter).

Comment

Unity

Compiz is not yet another compositing manager as he claims.
        As far as I understand, Compiz is the only compositing manager that can be extended/modified with plugins.

Also, without Compiz, how is Unity supposed to run on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          As far as I understand, Compiz is the only compositing manager that can be extended/modified with plugins.

Also, without Compiz, how is Unity supposed to run on Wayland?
          I guess they could switch to Mutter?
          It's in a much better state than it was 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
            I guess they could switch to Mutter?
            It's in a much better state than it was 2 years ago.
            How about some canonical-fused waylandish in-house skunkwork whizbang built from CA desires under heavy infuence of a varity of drugs? Add a shell built on Qt and a bit more spyware. Then you got yourself a nice pot luck of all the shit, FUD, closedness and greed which made Apple and Microsoft so great. That seems more fun to Mr Shuttleworth than going with anything smelling of openness which cant be corrupted or closed down.

I really do hope Canonical does this, it makes it so much easier to avoid this neo-fucktard storm-of-shitness hitting Linux these days..
            Last edited by funkSTAR; 07 January 2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              No, most window managers are extensible with plugins. AFAIK both KWin and Mutter support plugins. Gnome Shell was initially implemented as a Mutter plugin. Nowadays any Gnome Shell extension can modify the window management completely.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                How about some canonical-fused waylandish in-house skunkwork whizbang built from CA desires under heavy infuence of a varity of drugs? Add a shell built on Qt and a bit more spyware. Then you got yourself a nice pot luck of all the shit, FUD, closedness and greed which made Apple and Microsoft so great. That seems more fun to Mr Shuttleworth than going with anything smelling of openness which cant be corrupted or closed down.

I really do hope Canonical does this, it makes it so much easier to avoid this neo-fucktard storm-of-shitness hitting Linux these days..
                Cannonical wants to run Ubuntu on TVs and smartphones, so Qt seems to be the best option to them. They wouldn't have to split resources to work on gtk desktop and Qt everywhere else like yhey're doing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Cannonical wants to run Ubuntu on TVs and smartphones, so Qt seems to be the best option to them. They wouldn't have to split resources to work on gtk desktop and Qt everywhere else like yhey're doing right now.
                  Yeah. Qt is as shitty, shady and all about CA&skunkworks like Canonical. It is like the perfect dating match. I really hope they will marry! They probaly end like that anyway. It seems like the latest mergeup in systemd land is heading towards a CoreOS which doesnt suits Mr Skunkworths evil plans. A just and fair payback from RH. Lolz.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    They've said that QML/QT is targeted only at the "phone/mobile" side. They still recommend and support gtk for desktop apps.

Comment

Working...
                    X