Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can AMD/ATI drivers be recommended now, or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, thanks !
    Test signature

Comment

Maybe the choice is much more simpler in the future: nvidia or intel and not nvidia or amd or intel...

Comment

Well UT III still isn't released, so I'm still waiting

The latest Nvidia driver has introduced some rendering errors on my 6600GT, so there isn't all bright with NV, too.

For now I switched bacl

@Kano: I don't hope that AMD will go to hell ...
        Sure, AMD sucks right now in the High-Performance-Area compared to NV and Intel, but if you don't need absolute TOP speed, AMD might be a valid choice. I'm using a 5200+ EE right now. When I bought it, it was faster than an E6350, and CHEAPER than a E6350 (the E6350 was my price limit). Also the board was cheaper.

If I was into overclocking, things might have been different, though.

I'm actually appreciating the fact that I might get an alternative to Nvidia (on the linux plattform). The only thing is I'm not quite sure if AMD is the alternative right now.

But if Melcar say most development effort goes into the new generation cards, thats quite good (and logical also, though it might piss off users of older AMD cards)!

Well my requirements would be:

a) stability (!!!) (this includes the memory leak fixed)
        b) good performance in UT2k4 and UT III
        c) compiz-fusion should run
        d) low power consumption is (+) point. I'd even get a new board if AMD could support something like hybrid power.
        e) I'd appreciate if it would run with Software suspend / TuxOnIce.

I'd be grateful if sbdy (Melcar ?) could check that after the UT III release for linux (only if it's not too much effort since the chance is high that I get an NVidia, given that the 9600GT is the price/performance King ATM).

OK, here are My HW specs:

AMD A64 X2 5200+ EE
        nforce 520 mainboard
        2 GB of DDR2-800

Comment

There is no issues in games

I cannot complain, all of my parts have worked really well since the drivers where released, X850 xt pe, 2900 XT 3850 3870 3870X2(needs CF support though)

With the open source stuff comming on hard now, i can reccon i guess, but, well, depends if you can live with some bugs for a bit.

I have had issues with playing... movies

.,.... scrolling.... dont know of anything else

Comment

Well, about that living with bugs ...
            I Think it's (unfortunately) still some time till the release of UT III. I was hoping ATI will sort these bugs in the meantime

Comment

Working...
            X