No announcement yet.

Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At BlizzCon, Blizzard expressed intense interest in SteamOS, and were very pleased with Valve. Previously, they've said they're dissatisfied with the direction of Microsoft, and actively decided to not support the XBox One with Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. They also announced Hearthstone for Android, and started talking about "getting their games to as many platforms as possible where it makes sense", and by that they mean the control scheme. In the meantime, every single Blizzard game has an internal check for whether it is a Windows, Mac, or Linux client, as many have already pointed out. In addition, they have been expanding their team and hiring Linux engineers for a while now.

Take it however you will.

Comment

• Here's hoping it's not WoW, I have a serious weakness for Linux games/ports and will end up supporting -and subsequently playing- it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
        Here's hoping it's not WoW, I have a serious weakness for Linux games/ports and will end up supporting -and subsequently playing- it.
        heh -me too!

Whilst I remain nostalgic for WoW, I'd prefer it if they made Heros of the Storm multiplatform.

Comment

• Ahhhh , I remember been sarcastic, still am, telling myself how much we need some DRM software on linux-based os's.

Comment

• So.. any news on the matter?

Comment

• I believe this was in reference to the Android tablet port of Hearthstone that Blizzard just released (12/2014). The reason I believe this is because the article mentions a port of one of their titles and that the effort would be a "test" whether the work is worth it. That certainly sounds like they were being careful and didn't want to jump into a Linux port that would be tough without decent return. Hearthstone certainly avoids the danger...

Comment

• Originally posted by mwpow3ll View Post
                I believe this was in reference to the Android tablet port of Hearthstone that Blizzard just released (12/2014). The reason I believe this is because the article mentions a port of one of their titles and that the effort would be a "test" whether the work is worth it. That certainly sounds like they were being careful and didn't want to jump into a Linux port that would be tough without decent return. Hearthstone certainly avoids the danger...
                Good point!

Comment

• Don't think it will matter much but it seems someone has taken it upon him self to do something about this situation: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilte...-linux-clients

A petition to Blizzard, for them to make their games Linux native. Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2262819

Also this interesting detail:
                  Hello supporters, we have now hit 75 signatures but we still need more so please continue to spread the word about this petition. Remember that the Co-Founder and CEO of Blizzard, Mr. Morhaime is one of the people who receives notification of each signature.

Comment

• Originally posted by mwpow3ll View Post
                    I believe this was in reference to the Android tablet port of Hearthstone that Blizzard just released (12/2014). The reason I believe this is because the article mentions a port of one of their titles and that the effort would be a "test" whether the work is worth it. That certainly sounds like they were being careful and didn't want to jump into a Linux port that would be tough without decent return. Hearthstone certainly avoids the danger...
                    Not really : you may gain some time after doing some openGL ES code, but all the rest (networking, sound, user input) are made through the Android APIs, not the standard linux-friendly libraries out there (SDL at the top of the list). You can eventually use some of these through native code capabilitites, but you still have to go through the graphic stack of Android, which is entirely proprietary, and far from Xorg or Wayland compatible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                      Not really : you may gain some time after doing some openGL ES code, but all the rest (networking, sound, user input) are made through the Android APIs, not the standard linux-friendly libraries out there (SDL at the top of the list). You can eventually use some of these through native code capabilitites, but you still have to go through the graphic stack of Android, which is entirely proprietary, and far from Xorg or Wayland compatible.
                      The thing there is this: The real problems is adapting the UI, Input, etc. that is operating from the Android world over to the Linux- or vice versa.

In the end, it's little different than any of the adaptation layers LGP, Myself, or Ryan came up with for making Windows games "go" on Linux natively. Biggest problem for most of it is that it's got a really alien to most everything Linux view of filesystems and the like necessitated by the way you'd need to do a mobile device with their frameworks. In the end, it's pretty much Linux, with some REALLY wierd APIs compared to what you're used to.

Comment

Working...
                      X