No announcement yet.

Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, sorry, did I say "money"? Hmm, yes I did... Well, I meant "resources" .. :P

Anyway, I see your points. However, I still don't see them as reasons to why I would be annoyed by devs making statements that they will make a native Linux game targeted for Ubuntu

And yes, of course you are right, this is not the start of Linux gaming, that started ages ago (Must never forget Tux Cart). But please, you know what I mean ... oh, you don't?
    Oh, Desura recently came... now Steam is coming. Unigine Engine ... Unity 4.0 ... Nvidia finally starting to push out proper drivers. Not to mention all the articles that are gaming-related here on Phoronix.
    Obviously, SOMETHING has started just recently, or at least picked up a substantial pace

Comment

Originally posted by Shahrizai View Post
      Anyway, I see your points. However, I still don't see them as reasons to why I would be annoyed by devs making statements that they will make a native Linux game targeted for Ubuntu
      Mostly just because of the Ubuntu label applied - if they just said they would only offer officially offer support for X distro/distros it may actually be different, but by doing this they attach the "one distro to rule them all" baggage that a lot of Ubuntu fans used to proclaim (although I admit that has died down quite a bit in the last few years). Plus it adds to fears of Unity integration and USC only distribution (if these two did not exist there probably would be a lot less fear). And technically there is no reason for it - there are set binary standards they can adhere to that have worked for almost fifteen years.

Originally posted by Shahrizai View Post
      Oh, Desura recently came... now Steam is coming. Unigine Engine ... Unity 4.0 ... Nvidia finally starting to push out proper drivers. Not to mention all the articles that are gaming-related here on Phoronix. Obviously, SOMETHING has started just recently, or at least picked up a substantial pace
      Oh, Quake 3 recently came... now Doom 3 is coming, Unreal Engine 2, LGP, ATI and Nvida are investing in new drivers... (welcome to 2003)

Still, no, I am not blind when it comes to seeing that some things are gaining certain momentum. But this did not just start recently, I have been gaming on Linux for years including with commercial titles, and as someone who has watched this community grow and even tried to help in my modest little way, it does bother me that some people feel they can just write that all off now that we are gaining something new.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
        I still think this will end up as a big failed experiment.
        The main reason is the open source video drivers just plain suck, and many of those people who only use those drivers instead of the binary blobs will just ruin it for everyone else.
        It would be better if the distros installed the binary blobs by default, but in many cases, they just won't do that.

Speaking of open source drivers, I fail to see why many people choose to support nvidia instead of AMD when picking the gfx cards themselves. AMD releases lots of docs, nvidia hasn't released much of anything really, yet, those same anti-binary blob people continue to support a company like nvidia by buying their products.
        Well you know I DREAM I can use closed sources drivers from Amd... BUT using a muxed HYbrid graphics [amd/intel] catalyst doesn't support since ... 11.6 ? and
        having a decently recent xserver/kernel not supported by any old Catalyst ...........I HAVE to use radeon

Comment

Any updates on this? Blizzard just released SC2: Heart of the Swarm, I was kind of hoping it was that...

Comment

No updates I'm afraid. I think it's still on track though, and was scheduled to come out some time this year but it's Blizzard time anyway.
            They've said they want to announce something that PAX East, and that it wasn't a sequel or an expansion pack, and that it was also a game. I doubt it's Linux games though.

Comment

not on Linux http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                To say this is a disappointment would be understating Blizzards ability to make an intelligent game or original game these days.
                Hi

Comment

Summer summer summer time, summer time.

Where is the announcement by Blizzard?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
                    Summer summer summer time, summer time.

Where is the announcement by Blizzard?
                    We're only a third of the way though NA's summer. Be patient. If it does happen, it could be in July or August.

Comment

• Looking at the weather here in France, it seems we are still in October, so summer seems far away

Comment

Working...
                      X