Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vortex View Post
    The main reason is the open source video drivers just plain suck, and many of those people who only use those drivers instead of the binary blobs will just ruin it for everyone else. It would be better if the distros installed the binary blobs by default, but in many cases, they just won't do that.
    And this puts us at a disadvantage compared to Windows because? Almost all Windows gamers know that for the best performance they have to grab the official vendor drivers. Why should Linux users not be able to understand this concept?

Originally posted by vortex View Post
    Speaking of open source drivers, I fail to see why many people choose to support nvidia instead of AMD when picking the gfx cards themselves. AMD releases lots of docs, nvidia hasn't released much of anything really, yet, those same anti-binary blob people continue to support a company like nvidia by buying their products.
    Well, I do. The only Nvidia cards in the house I did not pay for. I game entirely on my AMD system using R600g. Playing through Torchlight ATM.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    How about just supporting the LSB?
    Indeed. All of the bitching about lack of standards, yet people fail to use one.

Comment

LSB is not a "standard" in common sense. It is a list of "stuff" in predictable places, nearly only usable for closed source (blob) applications. Open software does not need it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        LSB is not a "standard" in common sense. It is a list of "stuff" in predictable places, nearly only usable for closed source (blob) applications. Open software does not need it.
        It goes a lot deeper then a "list of stuff in predictable places". I think you are confusing the LSB with the FHS which is part of the LSB as well. And BTW, it is a ISO/IEC standard.
        Last edited by deanjo; 07 January 2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          No.
          No, no.
          No, it would be better if distros recognised problematic hardware and handled automatically. Distros are not installing (correctly - shipping with) proprietary only because of proprietary license that restricts that.

No. Partially. No - for example, sold 260gtx this december to go amd-only route. They are usable.
          amen brother. I am sick and tired of distros shipping alpha grade drivers that cause serious crashes. if the driver is not good, DONT FREAKING include by default it and make it available as an option. needless to say, nouveau is a disaster and just is plain broken in many configurations. i rather have vesa as the default when the driver is unstable.

Comment

Okay to defend D3 a bit, it was actually a pretty fun and decent game. For like a day or two. The problem with it was mostly it's focus on item farming instead of content. Yeah D2 was leagues better, I know.
            Maybe this is going to be the year of the penguin, with android as dominant is it is, and games coming to Linux in general.... Well I guess I can be optimistic.

WTF is with the weird let the Ubuntu bashing begin comments? Yeah it's going to catch flack stop being a doofus.

The problem I have with Ubuntu being the epicenter is it's use of sudo. Some of us don't use this for security reasons.

Comment

Shut up and take my money...

Comment

I am a huge Starcraft fan. Actually I keep my windows partition only for Starcfraft 2.

This is a huge opportunity for Canonical. I hope they don't screw up now. They need to work more closely with AMD and NVIDIA. Driver installation must become a seamless process, ideally they should work right out of the box. For example 3 months after Ubuntu 12.10 AMD still has only beta drivers. This should not happen anymore, either work with AMD to have stable drivers on release or use a slightly older but more compatible x.org version. They also need to be more careful with their kernel update policy. With great power, comes great responsibility. Regressions won't be acceptable from now on.

Comment

btw, any news about Batman?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    Okay to defend D3 a bit, it was actually a pretty fun and decent game. For like a day or two. The problem with it was mostly it's focus on item farming instead of content. Yeah D2 was leagues better, I know.
                    I haven't tried D3 yet
                    What anti-playing measures did they implement?
                    DRM and perma-Online (like mmorpg) afaik...?

Comment

you people are incredibly stupid.

5 pages of idiocy:

they are going to release a WOW port, it's clearly stated in the article as 'they already have a client' etc etc...

if they see adoption... I believe that only if the WOW linux client matches or surpasses OS X numbers will they bother wih porting other games

if you want to play games on linux you can only use geforces with nvidia prop driver. FUCKING PERIOD.

they release for ubuntu because the *untu ecosystem all had up, from mint to lubuntu, probably is 70%+ of linux clients

Comment

Working...
                      X